Mmf Covered Car Cake, In Fridge???

Decorating By tullicious Updated 14 Sep 2011 , 6:13pm by ANGELAKAY264

tullicious Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 5:51pm
post #1 of 2

I'm making a car cake for Friday night delivery, but the party isn't until Saturday night. The customer has requested vanilla cake with raspberry filling. I'm planning on covering the car with MMF. I was going to bake the cake, fill and crumb coat, and then freeze until I'm ready to carve. Do I need to freeze? Does that make carving easier? Then after carving I was going to either fridge or freeze it again. I have used raspberry preserves in the past for my filling, but have always had it refrigerated. Does it have to be? I'm worried about all that time and detail put in on the car and then having it all mucked up if I have to put it in the fridge. Advice please?

1 reply
ANGELAKAY264 Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 6:13pm
post #2 of 2

I always slightly freeze my cakes before I carve and it makes them easier and not as many crumbs! I did attempt one time to freeze a fondant cake, it made the fondant VERY VERY hard and once it was thawing my black and red bled onto the white probably from the condensation I'm guessing from thawing. So lesson learned for me I will never do that again! Hopefully someone can give you better tips! I do not refridgerate any of my fondant cakes anymore now just keep them covered and I've had no problems, but I also don't use many fruit fillings in my fondant cakes. Sorry I'm not too much help! Good luck icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%