Easier Way To Coat Cakepops?

Baking By Kiddiekakes Updated 29 Jun 2014 , 12:39am by YogaBaker

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 4:58pm
post #1 of 31

Is there an easier way to coat cakepops without emtying a whole bag of candy melts into a bowl..

I have to make 24 cakepops that are different colors but I have found in the past I end up throwing out the leftover candy melts as it is a pain in the butt to wait for them to solidify in a bowl and then TRY and scrape it out to save...

There has to be an easier way.... icon_rolleyes.gif any tips?

Laurel icon_wink.gif

30 replies
cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 5:03pm
post #2 of 31

what about in the little squeeze bottles?

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 5:22pm
post #3 of 31

Scrape it out while still liquid onto a bit of wax paper or silicone mat and throw it in the freezer for about 30min. Then pop it off the wax paper, put it in a baggie and store it until next time. You can let it come to room temp before putting in a baggie if you prefer, sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.

HTH

Rainbow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rainbow Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 5:32pm
post #4 of 31

I use those litte plastic bowls...strain it inot one of those and when it sets I put on the lid. It can easily be popped back out to remelt. I strain because I always have som crumbs that fall in.

Sue

bakerNtheMaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakerNtheMaking Posted 4 Nov 2013 , 6:07pm
post #5 of 31

AI Am havingThe Hardest Time coating My Cakepops Smoothly. Can Someone Tell Me What I'mDoing Wrong?

virago Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
virago Posted 4 Nov 2013 , 6:28pm
post #6 of 31

to save leftover candy for reuse at a later date...

lay out a large piece of parchment paper in an area away from moisture, spread melted candy over parchment paper in thin layer, allow to dry, crumble up now hardened candy into small pieces, store in an airtight container away from heat/moisture/sunlight. re-melt candy using paramount crystals to fix fluidity issues.

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 4 Nov 2013 , 6:55pm
post #7 of 31

AWithout A Better Description Of What's Not Working I Doubt If Anyone Can Help.

sweetmay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetmay Posted 4 Nov 2013 , 8:33pm
post #8 of 31

I line a small custard bowl with wax paper and pour the leftovers in it, wait for it to harden or pop it in the frig, then store it in a ziplock :)  No mess and no waste!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Nov 2013 , 9:11pm
post #9 of 31

Quote:

Originally Posted by bakerNtheMaking 

I Am havingThe Hardest Time coating My Cakepops Smoothly. Can Someone Tell Me What I'mDoing Wrong?

you have enough coating material to fully dip the cake pop in yes?

your coating material needs to be the right temperature and both the cake pops and the coating need to be smooth --

smooth + smooth = smooth

how are you doing it?

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 5 Nov 2013 , 8:26am
post #10 of 31

Ha Ha Ha Ha Sometimes The Random Snarkiness Really Makes Me LOL

Justcakegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justcakegirl Posted 5 Nov 2013 , 10:16am
post #11 of 31

I take a narrow and high smal bowl and melt the candy melts in it. It helps when i put a llittle bit of vegetable shortening to make it thin a little bit so it is easier to coat it :) 

mfeagan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mfeagan Posted 5 Nov 2013 , 12:55pm
post #12 of 31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cakepro 

Ha Ha Ha Ha Sometimes The Random Snarkiness Really Makes Me LOL

I Caught That As Well. :)

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 5 Nov 2013 , 5:08pm
post #13 of 31

AMy Snarkiness Is Not Random.

bakerNtheMaking Posted 5 Nov 2013 , 7:53pm
post #14 of 31

AOk, I'm Sorry, New To This whole thing. I am baking my cakes, putting frosting, mixing together and forming balls, i then put them in the freezer, for about 15 min. i take them back out dip the ends of sticks in chocolate and stick them in the balls. I then put them back in the freezer for about another 10 min, while i melt chocolate. I use the wilton melts. like wafers of chocolate. When choc is ready i take balls out of freezer and dip. The choc is really thick

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 5 Nov 2013 , 8:08pm
post #15 of 31

Some people thin their Wilton Candy Melts with shortening.  I use vegetable oil.  Just add small amounts until the consistency is thin enough for you.

I've been reading that others have great success using Mercken's wafers, and they don't need to thin the Mercken's at all.  

Happy dipping! :)

bakerNtheMaking Posted 5 Nov 2013 , 8:13pm
post #16 of 31

AThank You CakePro I Will Definitely Try Veg Oil.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 5 Nov 2013 , 9:59pm
post #17 of 31

Quote:

Thank You CakePro I Will Definitely Try Veg Oil.

y'know--you kinda help make up for my lack of capitalization--tHANK  yOU :grin:

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 5 Nov 2013 , 10:42pm
post #18 of 31

The only chocolate I have luck with dipping cake balls is Almond Bark.   Everything else is too think and I just hate to add shortening/oil. 

CONFECTIONERIE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CONFECTIONERIE Posted 6 Nov 2013 , 12:51am
post #19 of 31

AI always put my leftover melts in a ziplock baggie while they're still melted and then seal it [B]almost[/B] all the way and then flatten it/push all the air out and then seal it all the way. They harden super quickly cause it's so thin an then they're already in an airtight bag for storage.

I also use Wilton's melts and I find that I always need a spoon or so of shortening added.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 6 Nov 2013 , 1:34am
post #20 of 31

not to be too OT. I let my extra candy coating harden on foil or butcher paper. spread in thin sheets. Break them up and pop back into the original bag.  I cut the bags open as close to the original top seal, then re-seal the bag with my seal-a-meal.

LadyMacca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyMacca Posted 6 Nov 2013 , 2:10am
post #21 of 31

AAgree with the above, my job's big on Semper use, not entirely sure what the grocery store equivalent would be, but it's thinner also. Cake pops are pretty much the devil and a waste of everyone's time unless you're charging like $10 each lol. I hate them so much.

Jenny BakesAlot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenny BakesAlot Posted 6 Nov 2013 , 2:50am
post #22 of 31

Wilton candy melts are way too thick.  And when you add veg oil or crisco, they take forever to get hard.  I like A.C.Moore's brand, Make'n'Mold.  I also like Merckens, but I've only tried the brown chocolate wafers, none of the colored ones.  Cake pops are such a pain!

bakerNtheMaking Posted 6 Nov 2013 , 4:38am
post #23 of 31

AYou're Welcome, Its This Darn Phone.

bakerNtheMaking Posted 6 Nov 2013 , 4:40pm
post #24 of 31

AThanks Guys ForAllThe Input.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 6 Nov 2013 , 11:16pm
post #25 of 31

perhaps a light coating of Poured Fondant would work, it flows easier and coats thinner.

CakePops must really be a kid thing, big sugar bombs coated in confectioners candy coating.

A thin coating of tempered couverture chocolate seems like an option.

cookieszeal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookieszeal Posted 19 Nov 2013 , 1:02pm
post #26 of 31

Quote:

I Am havingThe Hardest Time coating My Cakepops Smoothly. Can Someone Tell Me What I'mDoing Wrong?

Same problem here, would really need some help/advice.

bakerNtheMaking Posted 19 Nov 2013 , 2:30pm
post #27 of 31

Apeople have said to add a little bit of veg oil, or use a differant kind of choc. I havent tried it since ive asked. maybe ill try today.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 19 Nov 2013 , 4:56pm
post #28 of 31

I use the melts from Hobby Lobby and thin them with a bit of paramount crystals if necessary.  I have the melting pot from Wilton.  I like it because I don't have to babysit it if I'm doing a bunch of other stuff in the kitchen.  I just put it on the melt setting and stir every now and then.  It keeps it at the perfect temperature and doesn't scorch the candy.

I strongly dislike the Wilton candy melts.  Strongly.

Carrie789 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carrie789 Posted 20 Nov 2013 , 2:01am
post #29 of 31

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnieCahill 

I use the melts from Hobby Lobby and thin them with a bit of paramount crystals if necessary.  I have the melting pot from Wilton.  I like it because I don't have to babysit it if I'm doing a bunch of other stuff in the kitchen.  I just put it on the melt setting and stir every now and then.  It keeps it at the perfect temperature and doesn't scorch the candy.

I strongly dislike the Wilton candy melts.  Strongly.

I agree. Wilton candy melts taste kind of medicinal.

Question: What are paramount crystals?

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%