Chocolate Collar

Decorating By Bakerbaby44 Updated 15 Sep 2011 , 9:15am by khadijah

Bakerbaby44 Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 3:07pm
post #1 of 4

I made a chocolate collar like I saw somewhere on here - for a cake I made. I melted the Wilton dark chocolate melts and spread it onto acetate sheet. Then when still quite pliable, I wrapped the cake with it. Once it was hard, I peeled the sheeting off. I have 2 questions:
1. Is there a good way to create a smooth seam where the two ends meet?
2. Is there something I can do to make the chocolate have a shiny finish? Mine had cloudy marks in it.

Thanks for any help. I'm doing this technique on a wedding cake for this Saturday.

3 replies
khadijah Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 3:32pm
post #2 of 4

To create a smooth seam you could probably dip a small spatula in hot water, wipe it dry, and then run it along the seam. This will melt the 2 chocolate ends together.

The reason why your chocolate collar had a cloudy finish could be due to cocoa butter separating and rising to the surface. To avoid this you must 'temper' the chocolate.

sweetflowers Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 3:36pm
post #3 of 4

Actually, Wilton candy melts don't need to be tempered. But if you overheat them they could have separated from the fats as stated in the previous post.

Also, I always refrigerate or freeze the cake with the acetate on it to set the chocolate. When you chill it quickly liike that, you will have a shine when you remove the acetate. Be careful though!!!! Too long in the freezer and you will crack your chocolate wrap. I only give a 8" cake about 3 minutes or so.

khadijah Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 9:15am
post #4 of 4

Oops! I think I missed out the candy melts part. Yeah, sweetflowers is right.

Quote by @%username% on %date%