Do Servings Increase?

Decorating By Colorful-Bliss Updated 14 Sep 2011 , 3:35pm by TexasSugar

Colorful-Bliss Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 2:35pm
post #1 of 6

If I was to make a cake that was 6 inches high would you increase the number of servings by half the original amount? I personally like the look of a taller cake so I was just wondering.[/code]

5 replies
CakeRN Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 2:40pm
post #2 of 6

servings are based on the size pan and the depth. If you use a 6 in high cake ( difficult to cut ) then yes you would increase the servings amt.

TexasSugar Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 2:58pm
post #3 of 6

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

Wilton's wedding serving guide says: Serving amounts are based on wedding-sized portions of approximately 1 x 2 in. Cakes from 3 to 6 in. high, baked in the same size pan, would yield the same number of servings because they follow the same pattern of cutting. Cakes shorter than 3 in. would yield half the number of servings indicated for that pan. Number of servings are intended as a guide only.

Personally, while your cake will need a higher per serving price, because they would be getting more cake in their servings, I wouldn't change the number of servings in the cake.

If you did say the cake had more servings, they would need to cut the cake in thinner slices or you would need to plate/board in the middle so they can cut it as two different cakes.

CWR41 Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 2:59pm
post #4 of 6

If you put a board in the middle at 3" and cut as two separate layer cakes, then yes.

If you cut as one extra tall tier following the same pattern of cutting as the Wilton chart (1x2x4), then no (and 6" tall servings won't fit on dessert plates).

Colorful-Bliss Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 3:32pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks guys! I was just curious. Yes it is more difficult to cut the taller cake. I wasn't really worried about pricing for the cake strictly for serving asspect. I would personaly think to increase serving and cut the pieces thinner you would still be getting the same serving just taller. I agree about the dessert plate point. At our family parties I would serve in larger plates. LOL!

TexasSugar Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 3:35pm
post #6 of 6

If you cut the cake 1x2 no matter the height, then you will get the numbers listed in that chart. You will just be giving them 1/3rd more cake than a 'regular' slice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%