Fondant Help

Decorating By specialtycakesbysara Updated 16 Sep 2011 , 1:40am by specialtycakesbysara

specialtycakesbysara Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 1:56pm
post #1 of 8

I have a wedding cake that I am making in a couple of weeks. I started practicing last night and I have a few questions about covering a cake in fondant. I got the fondant on no problem, but you can see grooves on the side (where the filling is). It just doesn't seem that eligant and smooth looking. What am I doing wrong?? I made homemade MMF fondant. I am starting to get nervous and I really need help!! icon_cry.gif

7 replies
cheatize Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 3:45pm
post #2 of 8

Did you let the cake settle between filling it and icing it? It sounds like it bulged.

grandmomof1 Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 3:56pm
post #3 of 8

Did you put your icing dam between the layers so the filling would not bulge out?

Crazboutcakes Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 3:59pm
post #4 of 8

My thought was to ask is if your fondant was also thick enough? If it is too thin than alot of things show through.

specialtycakesbysara Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 6:39pm
post #5 of 8

Yes, I put an icing dam so that the filling would not "leak" out. How long do you need to let it settle before icing it? I guess I didn't do that. Maybe the fondant was too thin. I usually don't use fondant to cover cakes, so I am super new at this. icon_sad.gif

grandmomof1 Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 3:29am
post #6 of 8

I think settlement is different with each recipe. Someone on CC suggested one time to place a ceramic tile on top of the cake to help it settle. I have never tried it though. My pound cakes I let settle overnight before decorating.

Jealena Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 2:13pm
post #7 of 8

Do any of you like any particular BC under the fondant as far as holding up better and being able to put enough on so it tastes better if someone peels back the fondant to eat???
What about the Faux IMBC, is that ok under fondant????

specialtycakesbysara Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 1:40am
post #8 of 8

I just use the Wilton recipe of BC to go under the fondant. Should I be using another recipe? Do I put a good amount of frosting onto the cake before I put the fondant on??

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%