Rice Crispie Treats?

Decorating By luvdub Updated 14 Sep 2011 , 2:06pm by Ansher

luvdub Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 12:44pm
post #1 of 5

Hi everybody.

I am wondering about the rice krispie treats that they use to make models on ace of cakes and cake boss etc.

Does anybody use this and do you have a good recipe for it, (i live in the UK)?

Also, how do you find it to work with, does it dry hard and does it have to be used/eaten within a certain time once it has been modeled?

Would appreciate anyones input.

4 replies
faithc24 Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 12:52pm
post #2 of 5

I've also been wondering! Last time I made them I needed it for a handset on a telephone cake and they just kept drooping. They weren't hard enough, figured I need to reduce the butter or something but haven't tried anything else yet. Good question! Tips appreciated! icon_smile.gif

shawnteel Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 12:58pm
post #3 of 5

I have always used the good ol fashioned rice crispy treat recipe.
3 tbsp butter
10 oz bag marshmellow (or approx 40 large)
6 cups rice crispies

I do cut back the butter at least a tablespoon and it sets pretty firm. I tell my customers it is rice criepy treat with less butter so it is very hard. It is edible but I wouldnt really want to necessarily eat hard crispies icon_biggrin.gif

olleharr Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 1:08pm
post #4 of 5

When I use rice krispy treats for a cake it's usually in smaller portions so I started buying the premade individually wrapped ones in the store now. They are always the perfect consistency, much easier to work with and not as much waste as homemade. I use them mostly to sculpt smaller figures and they are perfect for that.

Ansher Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 2:06pm
post #5 of 5

I use the recepie above with mushmellows. It forms very good in a mold, but slightly sticky. You can see how it looks like at the picture: http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2078248/2078253

Quote by @%username% on %date%