Question About Freezing Cake Before Decorating

Decorating By Kosha Updated 14 Sep 2011 , 6:20am by Claire138

Kosha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kosha Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 5:09am
post #1 of 3

Hi,

I read about people freezing their cakes all the time, before decorating or icing or covering with fondant.

My question is: If I bake 2 days before I plan on covering with fondant, how much time should I allow for a 10" and an 8" cake to defrost?

What's the best way to defrost? Also, after defrosting, wont the cake become even more soggy? and damage the outside fondant?

Or if I cover it with fondant after it comes to room temperature, what difference does it make if I do it right on the day that i bake the cake?

Lastly, what's the best way to cover the cake for freezing? PLease advice.

Thank you.

Sneha

2 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 5:29am
post #2 of 3

My question is: If I bake 2 days before I plan on covering with fondant, how much time should I allow for a 10" and an 8" cake to defrost?

I find a single layer, 8' or 10", will defrost most of the way in about 2 hours at a normal room temp. I cut away the top of the saran so it doesn't stick to the cake tops. I just sit 'em on the counter.

after defrosting, wont the cake become even more soggy? and damage the outside fondant?
No

Or if I cover it with fondant after it comes to room temperature, what difference does it make if I do it right on the day that i bake the cake?

Freezing a cake improves the texture.

Lastly, what's the best way to cover the cake for freezing?
I wrap the layers 2X in saran wrap and make sure that they're flat in the freezer.

Rae

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 6:20am
post #3 of 3

Ditto to everything Rae said!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%