Covering Styrofoam?

Decorating By sgalvan62 Updated 14 Sep 2011 , 10:09pm by SuzyQ2505

sgalvan62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgalvan62 Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 12:50am
post #1 of 7

what do i need to put on styrofoam to make fondant stick?

6 replies
blissfulbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blissfulbaker Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 1:09am
post #2 of 7

I like to use clear piping gel. I know some people mist with water but I always seem to use too much and my fondant gets too wet.

bikemom3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bikemom3 Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 1:24am
post #3 of 7

You can also use crisco

SuzyQ2505 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SuzyQ2505 Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 1:25am
post #4 of 7

Are you talking about covering dummies? The best advice I received was from BlakesCakes here on this site. I used styofoam sheets that I bought at Michaels, cut them up to the sizes I needed, sanded the edges with an extra unused piece of the foam, covered with shortening, then covered with fondant. I had no problems and that was just the first time I had ever done a dummie cake! It was Great advice, after the wedding ( and I mean WEEKS) I took the forms still with hardened fondant on them, soaked them in hot water for a few seconds and just peeled it off, then I took a soft bristled brush and washed them in Dawn! Came clean slick as can be and ready for the next time. Sorry this got long, but that info really saved my butt, so I'm passing it on. thumbs_up.gif

sgalvan62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgalvan62 Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 1:30am
post #5 of 7

wow! thanks everyone first time covering styrofoam so nice to be able to ask a question on cc and get answers! yeah!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 2:29am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ2505

Are you talking about covering dummies? The best advice I received was from BlakesCakes here on this site. I used styofoam sheets that I bought at Michaels, cut them up to the sizes I needed, sanded the edges with an extra unused piece of the foam, covered with shortening, then covered with fondant. I had no problems and that was just the first time I had ever done a dummie cake! It was Great advice, after the wedding ( and I mean WEEKS) I took the forms still with hardened fondant on them, soaked them in hot water for a few seconds and just peeled it off, then I took a soft bristled brush and washed them in Dawn! Came clean slick as can be and ready for the next time. Sorry this got long, but that info really saved my butt, so I'm passing it on. thumbs_up.gif

Thanks for the shout out! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Rae

SuzyQ2505 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SuzyQ2505 Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 10:09pm
post #7 of 7

I believe in giving credit where credit is due. You took all the guess work I had right out of the equation.
I have never posted pics before but believe me, everyone loved that cake but were dissappointed that a real cake didn't get cut and served! lol Oh well, they made do with cupcakes.
PS I was really impressed that most of the crisco came off with the fondant so cleanup was a breeze!
Thanks again, Rae thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%