Lemon Curd

Baking By rlowry03 Updated 21 Sep 2011 , 1:37am by momto2pottsy

rlowry03 Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 8:21pm
post #1 of 7

Is anyone willing to share a good, simple lemon curd recipe? I've found half a dozen, but they all require different things. One calls for gelatin, one for cornstarch, one needs a food processor for sugar and lemon zest...

6 replies
JGMB Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 8:38pm
post #2 of 7

LEMON CURD

3 Tbsp. plus 1 1/2 tsp. sugar
3 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
4 1/2 tsp. butter
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tsp. grated lemon peel

In a heavy saucepan, cook and stir sugar, lemon juice and butter until smooth. Stir a small amount into egg; return all to pan. Bring to a gentle boil, stirring constantly; cook 2 minutes longer. Stir in lemon peel. Cool 10 minutes. Cover and chill for 1 1/2 hours or until thickened.

HTH! icon_smile.gif

Kaybaby Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 9:07pm
post #3 of 7

We use this one all the time. It is from the Strawberry Creek Inn in Idyllwild, Ca.

Lemon Curd
(featured on Inn Cuisine, recipe from the Strawberry Creek Inn B&B)
  1 cup PLUS 3 tablespoons granulated sugar (8 ounces by weight)
  1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (zest lemons first and reserve, about 3 medium lemons)
  3 large eggs
  3 large egg yolks (reserve whites for another use if desired)
  1 tablespoon lemon zest (or the amount of zest you get from the lemons needed for juice)
  5 & 1/2 ounces unsalted butter, cut into 1/4-inch cubes

Whisk all ingredients together in a metal or glass bowl; place bowl over a pot of water to create a double boiler (water should not be high enough to touch the bottom of the bowl when inserted). Bring water to a boil then reduce heat immediately to low, stirring often with a wooden spoon. Continue cooking and stirring until mixture begins to thicken. Remove bowl from heat, lay a sheet of plastic wrap over the curd so it has contact across the entire surface; place in the refrigerator to chill.

Yield 4 cups

rlowry03 Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 8:27pm
post #4 of 7

Thank you. I was looking for one to use up leftover egg yolks so this gives me a place to start.

scp1127 Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 7:41am
post #5 of 7

The two recipes posted sound good. You don't need all of that other stuff.

lmnissen Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 1:12am
post #6 of 7

Not to hijack the thread, but will those recipes hold up as a cake filling with a WASC cake? (I'm substituting the almond with lemon extract and adding lemon zest)

momto2pottsy Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 1:37am
post #7 of 7

lmnissen- I have used it many times as a filling for WASC and it tastes delicious!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%