3D Lightening Mcqueen At Walmart ??

Decorating By aliciam Updated 4 Oct 2011 , 4:24am by pastryjen

aliciam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciam Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 3:07pm
post #1 of 23

Hello fellow bakers icon_smile.gif

So I had to share this with everyone. I was shopping at Walmart this morning and saw the cakes the offer. Did you know they now are making 3D Lightening McQueen cars cake? They do icon_sad.gif
The price $19.97 it would feed about 10 people.
I am a bit bitter about this because now I am sure to get more comments from people saying I can get a 3D cake from walmart blablabla..
Just thought I would share that with others incase you have a customer tell you.

22 replies
Panel7124 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Panel7124 Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 3:50pm
post #2 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliciam

Hello fellow bakers icon_smile.gif

So I had to share this with everyone. I was shopping at Walmart this morning and saw the cakes the offer. Did you know they now are making 3D Lightening McQueen cars cake? They do icon_sad.gif
The price $19.97 it would feed about 10 people.
I am a bit bitter about this because now I am sure to get more comments from people saying I can get a 3D cake from walmart blablabla..
Just thought I would share that with others incase you have a customer tell you.

wow! copyrighted cakes for that price... icon_sad.gif I would like to see a photo as I can't go to Walmart...

aliciam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciam Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 6:03pm
post #3 of 23

I know,what you mean. Next time I go I will take a picture on my phone.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 6:34pm
post #4 of 23

Hmm..Walmart here doesn't sell any cakes..just pastries etc...danishes,cinnamon buns ...

knlcox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knlcox Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 6:52pm
post #5 of 23

The Wal Mart here sells about 100 different types of cakes with decorations pre-made by the companies that hold the copyrights to them. I'm curious as to what that Wal mart would say if confronted.

Panel7124 Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 6:54pm
post #6 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliciam

I know,what you mean. Next time I go I will take a picture on my phone.

Thanks, I'm only curious... Here in local supermarket have never made custom order cakes - the only two they are selling are Black Forest and simple vanilla with gelatine covered fruits on the top. Lately they tried their luck with Spiderman cake icon_biggrin.gif - it was really POOR - edible image on round cake, all blurred and wet... Now they stopped to sell it. But I can imagine Walmart can do well with 3D Cars cakes - if it's made in an acceptable way for that price... people will go crazy! Nothing for me anyway. thumbsdown.gif

sillyoldpoohbear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillyoldpoohbear Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 7:10pm
post #7 of 23

They're in 2 supermarkets here, one of which is owned by the walmart group. I thought the same when I saw them, that I'll be expected to make one for £12. They're not bad but they're not very big & it's the edible images that make it. It probably tastes like cardboard & is more icing than cake.

Not the best picture but for those curious you can kind of see it here http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=268606490

allaboutcakeuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allaboutcakeuk Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 7:22pm
post #8 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyoldpoohbear

They're in 2 supermarkets here, one of which is owned by the walmart group. I thought the same when I saw them, that I'll be expected to make one for £12. They're not bad but they're not very big & it's the edible images that make it. It probably tastes like cardboard & is more icing than cake.

Not the best picture but for those curious you can kind of see it here http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=268606490

Poohbear I saw this yesterday in there!!!! the icing is a wreck and would feed about 5 kids if you were lucky but yep people will say "I can get a car cake in Tesco for under £15"! good luck to them I say!!! they don't do bakers many favours but I always feel people who want a decent cake will know quality (or not in this case) where they see it lol icon_biggrin.gif

Panel7124 Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 7:49pm
post #9 of 23
Quote:

hmmmm, they bake with vegetable oil, without artificial flavours and colourings (they are saying)...

'Other Information'
Additives: Free From Artificial Colours

Additives: Free From Artificial Flavours

Ingredients: Sugar,Wheat Flour ,Vegetable Oil ,Pasteurised Egg ,Water ,Buttercream (7%) [Sugar, Unsalted Butter (Milk), Glucose Syrup, Water, Acidity Regulator (Tartaric Acid)] ,Raspberry Jam (6%) [Glucose Syrup, Raspberries, Gelling Agent (Pectin), Acidity Regulator (Citric Acid), Flavouring] ,Glucose Syrup ,Dextrose ,Colours (Mixed Carotenes, Anthocyanins, Iron Oxides and Hydroxides, Curcumin) ,Modified Maize Starch ,Raising Agents (Sodium Aluminium Phosphate, Sodium Carbonate) ,Stabilisers (Xanthan Gum, Tragacanth) ,Citric Acid ,Salt, Flavouring, Preservative (Potassium Sorbate) ,Invert Sugar Syrup ,Emulsifiers (Mono- and Diglycerides of Fatty Acids, Acacia Gum) ,Humectant (Vegetable Glycerol) ,Dried Egg White

http://www.treelight.com/health/nutrition/Mono-Di-Glyderides.html

Flavouring: not specified...

Just yesterday I was talking with my fiancee about different types of glucides (types of sugar in general) - he is chemist. We found an interesting article on diabetic people and nutritionists sites. The point was: sugar (beetroot) is becoming more and more costly (at least in Europe). What these industrial bakers try to do to cut the costs? Substitute as much sugar as they can with glucose (glucose syrup), fructose, dextrose (which should be an equivalent of glucose?), inverted sugar syrup. This has very negative impact on body metabolism as the body 'ignores' simple sugars.... I really did not understand it very well as I was doing selective reading yesterday, surely I will read it again with more attention, it's interesting. Still in this Walmart recipe the major ingredient seems to be sugar (refined?)... at least something, but they do not specify quantities of all ingredients. Anyhow, my recipe was much shorter for my last Cars themed cake: wheat flour, sugar, butter, eggs, milk, baking powder, vanilla, cocoa powder, extra dark swiss chocolate (sugar, cocoa butter, cocoa powder), salt, fresh bananas+ homemade rolled fondant of course (there are some ingredients that are not my favourite (glycerine, glucose, gelatine), but they must be there to obtain acceptable consistency. Sorry for such a long post...

pettmybunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pettmybunny Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 8:05pm
post #10 of 23

For the people commenting about the copyrighted image... If the shops are buying the edible image decorations and the boxes to make and package the cakes in, they are buying the permission to use the image.... Unless of course, the original distributor of said items is doing it illegally. That's a whole 'nother can of worms though!

Panel7124 Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 8:11pm
post #11 of 23

[quote="Panel7124"]

Quote:

but seeing it on Tesco page in so small photo, it seems pretty good from the design point of view (+ Cars box) - of course with the edible image everything is sooo easy...

Panel7124 Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 8:17pm
post #12 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by pettmybunny

For the people commenting about the copyrighted image... If the shops are buying the edible image decorations and the boxes to make and package the cakes in, they are buying the permission to use the image.... Unless of course, the original distributor of said items is doing it illegally. That's a whole 'nother can of worms though!

it was meant as appreciation if you did not understand - they must surely pay royalties (being such giants as Walmart or Tesco) and having such a low price for the cake... wow!! they are doing really well! of course, they are making thousands of such cakes, thus the costs (and 'royalties costs') per cake are really minimal.. anyway, it means they must compensate in some way, don't you think? How? icon_smile.gif

pettmybunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pettmybunny Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 1:50am
post #13 of 23

I'm sorry Panel, I didn't mean to sound snarky at you. When going back through the posts, I see it was knlcox who wondered what would happen if Walmart was confronted about selling copyrighted images. Then again, I didn't mean to sound snarky to them either icon_smile.gif

knlcox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knlcox Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 2:05am
post #14 of 23

I think there's a difference in Walmart buying the image/toy already made from the company and reproducing it themselves. From what I understand someone shouldn't reproduce a copyright product and sell it. Maybe I'm wrong.

sewlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewlady Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 2:18am
post #15 of 23

i can tell you all that WallMart will not make any cake that they do not have premission to make. They obay all copyright laws strekly

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 2:33am
post #16 of 23

You mean as in a 3D actual cake? Wow, I havent seen it here at all yet....might have to go look after Im done with this cake order for saturday....

Wonder how they got around that??? copy right wise.

Panel7124 Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 6:08am
post #17 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by sewlady

i can tell you all that WallMart will not make any cake that they do not have premission to make. They obay all copyright laws strekly

that's what I was saying also - don't think that any big food supply chain (any really big, international or better - any serious company in general) would produce anything without permission of the licensor. Walmart has an advantage to be a huge company - no problem to get the license granted. If a small bakery or home baker would have asked for permission, most likely would not even get it...

Did anybody actually buy this cake to taste it - even for 'market research (competition valutation)' purpose only?? If yes, how does it taste and how many servings is it? Tesco says it serves approx. 14 but there aren't any measures (not even of the box) or weight whatsoever. Strange, they sell this product online... and that is another advantage, but at least the total weight should be stated. Not sure if recipient of the cake would be pleasantly surprised anyway...

JadedJenn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JadedJenn Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 2:14am
post #18 of 23

Believe it or not, this cake came from Wal-Mart:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/godfreja/4011939625/in/set-72157622462151961

My friend got this a couple years ago for her son's birthday. I think it cost like $60. She was working at Wal-Mart at the time in the bakery (doing bread and stuff, not cakes). One of the girls who did cakes was allowed to take special orders like this. I'm not sure how they got away with that.

JadedJenn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JadedJenn Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 2:15am
post #19 of 23

My friend got this a couple years ago for her son's birthday. I think it cost like $60. She was working at Wal-Mart at the time in the bakery (doing bread and stuff, not cakes). One of the girls who did cakes was allowed to take special orders like this. I'm not sure how they got away with that.

southerncross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncross Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 2:49am
post #20 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by JadedJenn

That's a lovely cake and I'm sure the children were delighted. Good price as well. As for licensing, it is available....for a price and with the volume that stores like Walmart have I'm sure they are in a position to strike a deal with Disney along with the general merchandising contract.

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 3:15am
post #21 of 23

I am sure that it is because Walmart is a large large company that they could get the licensing for it. We little peons don't count as far as big companies go when it comes to giving licensing rights.

But I bet anything that the icing was not near as good as if it had been a real buttercream icing. I know kids don't care about that kind of stuff. Most of the little ones have never had real buttercream unless they have had the privilege of having a private person make a cake for them. But I personally am not going to spend $60. for a cake that does not taste fantastic. I don't care how great it looks if I can't eat it and enjoy it, forget it.

vtcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vtcake Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 10:28pm
post #22 of 23

I am less concerned with what Walmart's doing than what our fellow bakers are doing as far as copyright violations. There are so many cakes being proudly displayed on here that are clear violations of copyrighted images, yet they get lots of compliments. You can't be all down on Walmart when you are praising and condoning your fellow bakers.

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 4:24am
post #23 of 23

I've seen this Disney Cars cake in Wal-mart. It's made by another company and is shelf stable. I think I've seen it near the Joe Louis/Half Moons/ Little Debbies. (not in the fresh cake bakery case) It's in a red box on a shelf and is about a foot long and looks pretty bad. I'm sure little boys will love it, though!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%