Stupid Silacone Baby Molds!! What Am I Doing Wrong??

Decorating By Lovelyladylibra Updated 14 Sep 2011 , 5:43pm by bobwonderbuns

Lovelyladylibra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovelyladylibra Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 12:08pm
post #1 of 22

I make my baby with gumpaste and freeze it for 15-20 minutes. but after I take it out the mold it sinks as its coming to room temperature. the butt sinks in and the head gets flat and wide... anyone know how to fix this?

21 replies
bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 12:37pm
post #2 of 22

Are you using a 50/50 gumpaste/fondant mix? That helps give it stability.

Are you packing it as full as possible and skimming off the excess? Sounds like it's not totally packed, which is important.

jcent424 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jcent424 Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 12:44pm
post #3 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovelyladylibra

I make my baby with gumpaste and freeze it for 15-20 minutes. but after I take it out the mold it sinks as its coming to room temperature. the butt sinks in and the head gets flat and wide... anyone know how to fix this?

I'm not an expert here but I have used this mold successfully. I made my baby with gumpaste then let it sit out in room temp, not in the freezer. After about an hour I carefully removed it and let it dry completely. It did take me two tries but the trick I discovered was make sure the gumpaste is really smooth going into the mold and kind of over fill it and press really hard to compact it before cleaning up the excess with a knife. It looks adorable once I put a bit of color on it and I will be using it this coming weekend for a baby shower.

Not sure this helped but good luck!

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 12:51pm
post #4 of 22

I have made them with both gum paste and 50/50 gum paste & fondant, with good luck, but I don't freeze it. I just let it sit in the mold for a couple of hours then carefully remove it. You may be getting condensation from coming out of the freezer. icon_smile.gif

crazyladybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazyladybaker Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 1:05pm
post #5 of 22

I am wondering what medium you are using as well. I typically use a mix of fondant and gumpaste but sometimes I use all gumpaste as well. Getting your product very smooth and pliable and packing it in there very well are musts. If I am in a hurry I will put it in the freezer and it works fine.
hth

Motorhead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motorhead Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 1:27pm
post #6 of 22

i used fondant mixture the first time i tried the baby mold-and it spread and collapsed as well. the next couple times i tried i added some tylose powder to my mmf and then stuck it into the freezer-aprox 15 minutes-worked like a charm. really helped to stabilize the fondant. hth! i've also used gumpaste with great results-and melted chocolate!! icon_lol.gif

PoodleDoodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PoodleDoodle Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 1:28pm
post #7 of 22

I've had success using melted white chocolate.

mommynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommynana Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 2:11pm
post #8 of 22
mommynana Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 2:14pm
post #9 of 22

PoodleDoodle, I Have to try the chocolate, Did you put it in the fridge,? Or let it sit out

Lovelyladylibra Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 2:46pm
post #10 of 22

I used all Gumpaste both times.... I once did a gummy one and it came out fine

But yes I packed it stuffed the crap out of it then cut off the extra. I think maybe its the freezer also. but I was told you have to let it dry at least a week when drying in just the mold.... maybe I was taught wrong?

on another note, chocolate sounds really awesome

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 2:54pm
post #11 of 22

I don't have the baby mold, but I use silicone molds all the time. You don't have to let it dry for a week in the mold. I just pop things right out or wait 20 minutes if I am busy with something else. Now it will be pliable still so you can't rough it up, but it should hold its shape okay... especially if it's straight gumpaste (though I like a 50/50 mix). You woudl want to let it dry for a day or so out of the mold before you handle it too much so it has some backbone to it and won't get finger marks, but you can pop many babies out of your mold in a sitting.

bobwonderbuns Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 3:39pm
post #12 of 22
Quote:

But yes I packed it stuffed the crap out of it then cut off the extra. I think maybe its the freezer also. but I was told you have to let it dry at least a week when drying in just the mold.... maybe I was taught wrong?

Dry a week in the mold??? icon_eek.gif Noooooooo!!!! If you look in my pix, at Isabel's baby shower, I did the topper using that baby mold -- I did about 10 babies in maybe two hours. Knead the fondant/gumpaste mixture, pack it tight, skim the top, freeze for 20 minutes or so until it's firm and peel back the mold baby butt side first (or the toes will crack off if you release the head first.) Easy peasy!! icon_biggrin.gif

mommynana Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 5:50pm
post #13 of 22

[quote="bobwonderbuns"]

Quote:

Dry a week in the mold??? icon_eek.gif Noooooooo!!!! If you look in my pix, at Isabel's baby shower, I did the topper using that baby mold -- I did about 10 babies in maybe two hours. Knead the fondant/gumpaste mixture, pack it tight, skim the top, freeze for 20 minutes or so until it's firm and peel back the mold baby butt side first (or the toes will crack off if you release the head first.) Easy peasy!! icon_biggrin.gif[/quot

Love that cake, Just put it in my fav. Did you just roll diff. colors of fondant. To get that

mommynana Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 5:53pm
post #14 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Quote:

Dry a week in the mold??? icon_eek.gif Noooooooo!!!! If you look in my pix, at Isabel's baby shower, I did the topper using that baby mold -- I did about 10 babies in maybe two hours. Knead the fondant/gumpaste mixture, pack it tight, skim the top, freeze for 20 minutes or so until it's firm and peel back the mold baby butt side first (or the toes will crack off if you release the head first.) Easy peasy!! icon_biggrin.gif

Love that cake, Just put it in my fav. Did you roll diff. colors of fondant. to get that

bobwonderbuns Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 8:35pm
post #15 of 22

Thanks, no I didn't, I airbrushed it first, blue on top, green on bottom, then sponged it. I made the sky a little too dark though, but mom loved it! icon_biggrin.gif

Lovelyladylibra Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 11:42pm
post #16 of 22

That cake is too cute bobwonderbuns.... funny name btw..... and okay ill give it another go 50/50 this time one in the freezer and one out and see how it goes. Thank you

bobwonderbuns Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 12:34am
post #17 of 22

Let me know if you have any problems, I'll help in any way I can. Good luck! icon_biggrin.gif

mommynana Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 4:35pm
post #18 of 22
Quote:

Thanks, no I didn't, I airbrushed it first, blue on top, green on bottom, then sponged it. I made the sky a little too dark though, but mom loved it! icon_biggrin.gif

By sponged it. Do you mean, After you air brush it just take a spong and just dab it,

mommynana Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 4:36pm
post #19 of 22
Quote:

By sponged it. Do you mean, After you air brush it just take a spong and just dab it,

bobwonderbuns Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 5:01pm
post #20 of 22

Yes, that's what I did. I put a couple drops of the airbrush color in a palette and took a natural sponge and dabbed it. If you look in my pix, the other cake I did like that -- the 3D painting cake, that's the look I was going for but I went a little crazy with my sponging so the sky was too dark. I could tell the faux pas but nobody else could. It's all good! icon_biggrin.gif

mommynana Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 5:41pm
post #21 of 22

they are beautiful bob. But then again all your cakes are, I`d like to give that a try one day.

bobwonderbuns Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 5:43pm
post #22 of 22

Thank you! It's actually pretty easy. One thing I tell my students is to get a cake dummy and cover it in Wilton fondant (gives you practice in covering cakes in fondant), then use that for your practice. Practice sponging and other techniques. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%