Red Velvet Pound Cake For A Ball Pan - Anyone Please

Baking By tal Updated 14 Sep 2011 , 10:59am by tal

tal Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 11:31am
post #1 of 9

I am desperately looking for a red velvet pound cake recipe. I am doing a wedding in november and want the top tier to be a ball pan cake for the couple to keep.

I need a denser cake obviously, for the ball pan. Does anyone have any ideas or recipes to help me out?

Thanks Board!

Lisa L

8 replies
vgray Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 2:59pm
post #2 of 9
lilmissbakesalot Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 3:16pm
post #3 of 9

You really don't need a pound cake for the ball pan. I've made regual red velvet in the ball pan with no issue.

The ball pan isn't that big. Will it be a 3-d ball? just put a board in between the two 1/2's and dowel it.

tal Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 8:20pm
post #4 of 9

vgray - Thanks so much - will def try this one!

lilmiss - was your recipe from scratch?

and yes, it will be 3D on the top tier of the cake. when you say 'dowel thru the cake' but split the 2 halves with a board - little confused? i was planning on filling the in between layer, then doweling the two layers together, but not with a board??

tal Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 8:20pm
post #5 of 9

vgray - Thanks so much - will def try this one!

lilmiss - was your recipe from scratch?

and yes, it will be 3D on the top tier of the cake. when you say 'dowel thru the cake' but split the 2 halves with a board - little confused? i was planning on filling the in between layer, then doweling the two layers together, but not with a board??

lilmissbakesalot Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 1:36am
post #6 of 9

When I make a ball I treat the 1/2 as two cakes. I split them in 1/2 and fill them and put a board in between. They are more stable that way. I don't trust them on their own... especially not atop a cake like you are saying. It's a little more work, but this way everyone gets a piece of cake with enough filling and it's easier to serve IMHO.

Oh and to answer your question yes it was a scratch cake. icon_smile.gif

cmehend Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 1:59am
post #7 of 9

I've also made a scratch recipe of red velvet in the ball pan with no issues. I also used a dowel and cardboard between the two halves.

Apti Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 2:50am
post #8 of 9

I use a doctored Duncan Hines Red Velvet mix. The cakes turn out quite dense with a fine crumb and an excellent taste.

BlakesCakes red velvet redux recipe:

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7573/red-velvet-redux-easy-durable

You could also adapt this excellent "faux" pound cake recipe from Janette Pohlman http://www.pohlmanscakes.com/recipe.php?name=Cream+cheese+pound+cake&id=15 I have made the white pound cake with this recipe (Duncan Hines) and it was wonderful.

Cream cheese pound cake
1 pkg (18.25 ounce) fudge or white cake mix (OR RED VELVET)
1 package (8 oz.) cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup granulated sugar
4 large eggs
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

tal Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 10:59am
post #9 of 9

Thanks to ALL of you! Time to do a test run...... icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%