Fresh Cream In Cake Filling??

Baking By shelbell2482 Updated 13 Sep 2011 , 12:07pm by MikeRowesHunny

shelbell2482 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbell2482 Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 9:42am
post #1 of 3

Hello fellow cakey people!!
Need to pick your brains....

I have a cake for next week and my client has asked for a caramel or a toffee buttercream filling. I have never made these before and I am after some guidence. (If anyone has a tried and tested recipe I can use this would be greatly appreciated.) I am in the UK so buttercreams which contain shortening are not very popular I use all butter recipes. (Also I use gms not cups)

I have found a few recipes which look good, but contain fresh cream... I am unsure of using fresh cream to fill a cake (which will need decorating afterwards which may take a day or two) I am a little concerned how long the cream will keep 'good' inside the cake while I decorate it. It's to be a 2 tier cake, Which is to be covered with fondant afterwards. Usually refridgerating a fondant covered cake is a 'no no' but do I have to as it will contain fresh cream?

Also salted caramel? does this taste salty? Sounds more savoury than sweet?

Any assistance welcomed, Thanx guys, Shelly x x

2 replies
traci_doodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci_doodle Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 11:43am
post #2 of 3

I love the recipe:
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6851/thick-caramel-sauce-or-filling

I actually found a post on cakecentral where the person who posted the recipe said it did not need refrigerating, but I can't really say for sure.

As for salted caramel, I don't think I've ever had it before, but I am imagine it's still pretty sweet. Caramel is pretty sweet to begin with and the salt probably just cuts back on the sweetness a bit.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 12:07pm
post #3 of 3

Have you ever made meringue buttercream? If you do so and swap out the white sugar for brown, add a good pinch of salt, and it gives a wonderful caramelly-toffee flavour to it and is perfectly safe at room temp. Much less sweet than an icing sugar based buttercream too icon_smile.gif!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%