All-Purpose Decorating Gloves

Decorating By Briniga Updated 14 Sep 2011 , 1:47am by Occther

Briniga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Briniga Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 3:45am
post #1 of 14

I cant find any stores that sell All-Purpose Decorating Gloves any more by wilton! And I use them all the time!!! I see one bag on ebay for like $13, i think thats pricy since they used to be a couple bucks at walmart, but if i have to i will buy them, so I was wondering is there anywhere you know of that I could get them on a regular basis? Ive looked on amazon.com. Ive also bought some others that they said that coloring would not bleed through the gloves but they do alot. Thanks

13 replies
carolinagirlcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolinagirlcakes Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 4:12am
post #2 of 14

They are kindof like latex style gloves that doctors use right? I had some at one point in time but they just seemed more of a pain when working on my cakes so I just stopped using them.

I have seen latex gloves at places like CVS and Walgreens.

Briniga Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 4:18am
post #3 of 14

Oh ok I will check those out. I only use the gloves when im coloring fondant cuz it gets all over my hands & nails & its hard to wash off. Thanks

carolinagirlcakes Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 4:29am
post #4 of 14

NP... I am not.sure what brand you color with but I found the Wilton will stain my hands for days but I switched to Americolor and have not had that issue anymore.

Briniga Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 4:31am
post #5 of 14

Really? I use wilton, I will have to try americolor thanks icon_smile.gif

CreativeCakesbyMichelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreativeCakesbyMichelle Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 4:39am
post #6 of 14

You may want to go with latex-free gloves just in case anyone eating the cake has a severe latex allergy. Not sure if anyone would actually have a reaction from eating food handled with latex gloves but I wouldn't want to test that. Just figured I'd mention that because I didn't realize until starting nursing school how many people are apparently allergic to latex.

Briniga Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 4:41am
post #7 of 14

I was wondering about that, I will do that! Thank you icon_biggrin.gif

kenidicalamity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kenidicalamity Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 4:47am
post #8 of 14

I would look into nitrile gloves. they are more expensive but are latex free. If you look up tattoo supply companies (painfulpleasures.com for instance) You can get really nice ones that are made specifically so tattoo ink, liquids, food coloring, etc won't bleed through. You can also get them in def sizes so they fit well. They run $5-$7 per box of 100.

kenidicalamity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kenidicalamity Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 4:59am
post #9 of 14

I just realized my painfulpleasures .com account was still listed as wholesale so the prices I quoted you are not right, unless you happen to be a tattoo shop owner lol. However you can find nitrile gloves at other online stores, and possibly at walgreens and rite aid.

carolinagirlcakes Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 1:21pm
post #10 of 14

CVS has the latex-free gloves too... I just did a check google search to get you going in the right direction.

Mamasan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mamasan Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 10:10pm
post #11 of 14

I use a latex free, non-powdered surgical glove. I'm fortunate that half my family works at a medical supply company. icon_biggrin.gif

FYI - Stay away from colored ones, I had a peach one and and it turned my fondant ivory while I was kneading.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 1:21am
post #12 of 14

These are the gloves I use. http://www.acemart.com/prod5470.html

Funny thing is, I go to my local Ace Mart for these gloves in size SMALL, but it doesn't appear the small size is available on their website.If you need small, I'm sure you can find them elsewhere.

They come powdered and non-powdered. I prefer powdered so I can take them off and put them back on a couple of times. But - the powder has to be rinsed off your hands before handling food.

Mamasan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mamasan Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 1:45am
post #13 of 14

I prefer powdered too but don't use them for obvious reasons. Once I take off a pair of gloves I throw them out.

Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 1:47am
post #14 of 14

I buy my gloves at GFS marketplace - a food/restaurant supply place - you can get any - powdered, powder free, vinyl, latex. Try a local restaurant supply.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%