Edible Varnish Question

Decorating By bluedaisies Updated 24 Mar 2014 , 4:01am by Fayeroyal

bluedaisies  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluedaisies Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 12:48am
post #1 of 8

I'm trying to make these little fondant ice cream cone decorations I've made stay shiny. I initially tried gum glue, that didn't work. Dried dry looking. Now I'm trying the edible varnish recipe I found - corn syrup, gel, and water. Hopefully it works and stays shiny thru Saturday when the order is due.

On to my question - this jar of edible varnish I've made - how long is it good to keep? I have it in a jar with a lid, in the fridge.

Thanks!

7 replies
 Karen421  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 12:54am
post #2 of 8

I have never tried the corn syrup, gel and water, But I do use corn syrup and vodka and it will keep for a while in a sealed jar. icon_smile.gif

carmijok  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 4:01pm
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen421

I have never tried the corn syrup, gel and water, But I do use corn syrup and vodka and it will keep for a while in a sealed jar. icon_smile.gif

What are your ratios to the corn syrup and vodka? I'm curious as to how this would work as a lacquer. when the alcohol evaporates, doesn't it still leave the surface sticky? And if so, why not just use straight corn syrup? Or is it just to thin it out a little to make it more spreadable? (so many questions!) icon_lol.gif

Karen421  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 2:59am
post #4 of 8

It's a 50/50 mixture - it is a little sticky, but it dries nice and stays very glossy. I usually do 2 coats by brushing one way, then once that is dry brushing the other way.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1904407

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1992589/1992592

HTH icon_biggrin.gif

carmijok  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 7:44am
post #5 of 8

Thanks Karen421! I will try that! thumbs_up.gif

Fayeroyal  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fayeroyal Posted 23 Mar 2014 , 12:40am
post #6 of 8

ACan I use airspray for the vodka and corn syrup? Has anyone tried it?

morganchampagne  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 23 Mar 2014 , 3:06am
post #7 of 8

ADo you mean airbrush? If so, I would not recommend trying to mix up something that could pass through the airbrush. Best to buy colors specifically made for use with an airbrush

Fayeroyal  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fayeroyal Posted 24 Mar 2014 , 4:01am
post #8 of 8

AYes airbrush, has anyone tried using 50/50 vodka n corn syrup with airbrush for gumpaste? I need glossy leaves for my gumpaste products? Could anyone recommend a recipe for this purpose?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%