Edible Varnish Question

Decorating By bluedaisies Updated 24 Mar 2014 , 4:01am by Fayeroyal

bluedaisies Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 12:48am
post #1 of 8

I'm trying to make these little fondant ice cream cone decorations I've made stay shiny. I initially tried gum glue, that didn't work. Dried dry looking. Now I'm trying the edible varnish recipe I found - corn syrup, gel, and water. Hopefully it works and stays shiny thru Saturday when the order is due.

On to my question - this jar of edible varnish I've made - how long is it good to keep? I have it in a jar with a lid, in the fridge.

Thanks!

7 replies
Karen421 Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 12:54am
post #2 of 8

I have never tried the corn syrup, gel and water, But I do use corn syrup and vodka and it will keep for a while in a sealed jar. icon_smile.gif

carmijok Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 4:01pm
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen421

I have never tried the corn syrup, gel and water, But I do use corn syrup and vodka and it will keep for a while in a sealed jar. icon_smile.gif

What are your ratios to the corn syrup and vodka? I'm curious as to how this would work as a lacquer. when the alcohol evaporates, doesn't it still leave the surface sticky? And if so, why not just use straight corn syrup? Or is it just to thin it out a little to make it more spreadable? (so many questions!) icon_lol.gif

Karen421 Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 2:59am
post #4 of 8

It's a 50/50 mixture - it is a little sticky, but it dries nice and stays very glossy. I usually do 2 coats by brushing one way, then once that is dry brushing the other way.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1904407

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1992589/1992592

HTH icon_biggrin.gif

carmijok Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 7:44am
post #5 of 8

Thanks Karen421! I will try that! thumbs_up.gif

Fayeroyal Posted 23 Mar 2014 , 12:40am
post #6 of 8

ACan I use airspray for the vodka and corn syrup? Has anyone tried it?

morganchampagne Posted 23 Mar 2014 , 3:06am
post #7 of 8

ADo you mean airbrush? If so, I would not recommend trying to mix up something that could pass through the airbrush. Best to buy colors specifically made for use with an airbrush

Fayeroyal Posted 24 Mar 2014 , 4:01am
post #8 of 8

AYes airbrush, has anyone tried using 50/50 vodka n corn syrup with airbrush for gumpaste? I need glossy leaves for my gumpaste products? Could anyone recommend a recipe for this purpose?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%