Need Advice, I Am Doing A Cake And Cupcakes

Decorating By branbrielliott2 Updated 13 Sep 2011 , 6:44pm by carolinagirlcakes

branbrielliott2 Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 12:46am
post #1 of 6

The cake I am not sure if its 2 layers or one yet..but I have going to cut of fondant to add to , to make zebra print, I am pretty sure that need to be done at the time of covering it.....? how far in advise can I make fondant. I need cake done by sat. but thur night I work and friday I work 12 hours.

Cupcakes I am making fondant disc not sure how I am going to make, I seen print at the store but but I am going to either paint it on or use real thin black fondant..what do you think is better and how far ahead a time do I need to do these...I am also doing fondant flowers togo on top of zebra disc, can these be done as soon as tomorrow and let to dry till then.

I have to make a topper w/the numbers 12 so I am guessing use a toothpick in the middle so it stands up but how many days do I need really to have it dry. Any tips or ideas would be great thanks so much. icon_smile.gif

5 replies
carolinagirlcakes Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 1:36am
post #2 of 6

Depending on the type of fondant will determine when to make your details to add to the cake. I use fondarific and it does not 100% harden like other fondants so when I make things in advance I just lay them out in a ziploc and when I need them they are still plyable.

If you choose to paint use 100% lemon extract or vodka with gels. You should be able to do this the day of and it be dry within an hour or so.

As for the fondant disc on the cupcakes again depends on what you are using. If yours does not dry out you can pre-do and the place in ziplocs to keep.

Fondant flowers may need time to dry if you want them to harden up. If this is the case you might want to do a mix with gumpaste.

Depending on how big the 12 topper is you might need to use something more heavy duty than toothpicks to keep it up right. Try heavy gauage wire. I buy this from a cake shop.

Hope this answers most of your questions and helps in some way.

sumerae Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 2:05am
post #3 of 6

good question, it's never dawned to me to do these ahead of time....i use satin ice...anyone?? thoughts? (obviously things that need to set up and dry hard I do.)

carolinagirlcakes Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 2:07am
post #4 of 6

I found that Satin Ice will dry out and harden so if you make things ahead of time you might want to store in a ziploc to help with this.

branbrielliott2 Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 6:38pm
post #5 of 6

I use mmf only . I dont have 100% lemon extract, now are you talking about vodka you drinK????? Is that ok on a kids cake??? Can it be flavored, that I might have.

carolinagirlcakes Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 6:44pm
post #6 of 6

Yes the vodka you drink. It dries very quick and does not have in affect on the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%