What Am I Doing Wrong? Mmf Always Crumbles

Decorating By WillowsCry Updated 13 Sep 2011 , 1:59am by WillowsCry

WillowsCry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WillowsCry Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 12:21am
post #1 of 11

I have used two different recipes and both times the fondant always crumbles. icon_cry.gif I knead, I add shortening till everything including the neighbors dog is covered in shortening (jk) icon_wink.gif I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. Suggestions please! icon_confused.gif

10 replies
dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 12:41am
post #2 of 11

Are you adding all of the PS when you make it? Reserve 1 - 1 1/2 cups until the fondant has had a resting period. If it is a little bit sticky after resting knead in a bit of shortening. If it is really sticky add some of the PS a bit at a time until it feels right.

Tinacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tinacakes Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 12:44am
post #3 of 11

sounds like its too dry, do not ad all the powdered sugar at once, i add it little by little and use the last cup when i knead it.

WillowsCry Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 12:56am
post #4 of 11

It's not at all sticky, it's very greasy. I didn't add all the p.sugar at once on this last batch. Should I just keep adding shortening?? Very frustrated and cunfuzzled icon_sad.gif(

ghana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ghana Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 1:00am
post #5 of 11

I had the same problem and almost gave up on MM fondant but its soo much cheaper and tastes much better so I decided not to give up. I know the recipe says to use 8 cps of IC but I dont need nearly as much. I use much less and add it to the fondant in sprinkles. Also, using too much shortening can alter the stretchy consistency you need to cover the cake. Use shortening sparingly as well. Also, adding a bit of glucose helps keep it elastic as well. HTH

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 1:01am
post #6 of 11

Try warming a handful in the microwave (maybe 5 - 10 seconds) and knead it together. If this works do the same thing to the rest of the batch.

ghana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ghana Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 1:01am
post #7 of 11

I meant IS (icing sugar) not IC

WillowsCry Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 1:18am
post #8 of 11

This recipe called for 9 cups of p. sugar. I used only about 7 cups before it started becoming to dry. I'll try the heating suggestion as well as the glucose. I don't want to give up on MMF for the same reasons you have ghana. Thank you all for the input and suggestions.

sherrycanary62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherrycanary62 Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 1:29am
post #9 of 11

here is my way of doing MMF

16 oz marshmallow
2lbs powedered sugar
2 table sppons water
2-3 tsp flavoring extract
1tbls spoon corn syrup

** be sure to check the weight on the marshmallow package...most brands are going to 10.5 ounce instead of 16oz packages.

lightly grease bowl with veg shortening. Place 16oz marshmallow, add water, extract and cornsyrup, mix. Microwave marshmallows for 1 min....stir...microwave for 1 more min at 30 second intervals.

Once marshmallow is melted, this is where I add color if I am using it...much easier when the marshmallow is melted. I add 3-4 cups of powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time (then stir) to the melted marshmallow, it will look lumpy but that is ok.

I dump the rest of the package onto a flat surface, then pour out the melted marshmallow into the pile of powdered sugar and start kneading until I have the firmness I want, I usually don't use all the ps.

thats it

just be sure to check the weight of the marshmallow package...very important.

sacakesandbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sacakesandbakes Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 1:34am
post #10 of 11

I had that problem this weekend after I put too much color, PS, & shortening. I added more melted marshmallow and then I got the right consistancy back.

WillowsCry Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 1:59am
post #11 of 11

Sherry and sacakes...thank you for your suggestions. Failing all else I will give those a try as well. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%