Do I Charge For The Custom Order Molds?

Decorating By Normita Updated 13 Sep 2011 , 8:52pm by btrsktch

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 11:27pm
post #1 of 11

the bride liked a vintage lace cake. The cake obviously has about 3-4 different molds. I told her those are special molds and she would have to pay for those. Was I out of line...how do you handle situations like this?

10 replies
diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 11:29pm
post #2 of 11

I wouldn't have charged her to purchase the molds, unless you plan on giving her the molds. I would buy the molds and charge her for my time to make the cake using those molds. Eventually you will be using those molds for other cakes.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 12:12am
post #3 of 11

I might have increased the cost of the cake some if I knew that I'd have to buy a lot of special equipment, but I wouldn't tell her that she'd have to buy it.

You might want to check if anyone has the molds and you can borrow them.

JackieDryden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JackieDryden Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 12:24am
post #4 of 11

I haven't had to buy molds, but have had to purchase special cutters or pans to acheive the cake someone wanted. I add half the price of what the item cost into the cake. And as of now-I have no re-ued those special things I had to order! So it's a little loss, but not as bad.

Normita Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 12:47am
post #5 of 11

Unfortunately, there is no one in my area that can let me use the molds. She is a friend of a friend and she wants the "cheapest" cake design possible, so it seems like the lace cake is not an option.

Thanks for the info...next time I'll be sure to add that fee into the cake instead of telling her she would have to buy them. Live and learn...thanks icon_smile.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 1:33am
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normita

Unfortunately, there is no one in my area that can let me use the molds. She is a friend of a friend and she wants the "cheapest" cake design possible, so it seems like the lace cake is not an option.

Thanks for the info...next time I'll be sure to add that fee into the cake instead of telling her she would have to buy them. Live and learn...thanks icon_smile.gif

Well, if she's limiting herself to the cheapest design possible, she should understand that a lot of antique mold fondant pieces do not fall into that category! icon_rolleyes.gif

Normita Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 1:54am
post #7 of 11

[quote="costumeczar"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normita

Well, if she's limiting herself to the cheapest design possible, she should understand that a lot of antique mold fondant pieces do not fall into that category! icon_rolleyes.gif[/quote

Exactly!! She wasn't aware of how much they were. She is one of those flaky brides that can't make up her mind!! I've had it with her being so undecided. The wedding is in 3 weeks and she hasnt told me design/flavors. She's going with cupcakes and small cake because it's "cheaper" even though she mentioned she does not like cupcakes for a wedding!!

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 2:46am
post #8 of 11

So far whenever I've purchased special molds, cutters, stencils, pans, etc. for a cake order I have not increased the price of the cake. AND, so far, I have (and am using precious storage space for) molds, cutters, stencils, pans, etc. that I haven't used since that one cake. I think it's time to re-evaluate my system.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 2:08pm
post #9 of 11

If it is something that is very cake or person specific, such at ordering a mold of their monogram or something like that that would never be used on another cake, then I can see charging for the mold.

If it is something that you could use on another cake, then I look at that as I would buying a cake pan, or a flower cutter. It is an investment. If you were going to have to spend a large amount on the molds, then I can see adding an up charge, but I don't think I would do it for the full cost of the molds.

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 3:24pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

I might have increased the cost of the cake some if I knew that I'd have to buy a lot of special equipment, but I wouldn't tell her that she'd have to buy it.

Me too

btrsktch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
btrsktch Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 8:52pm
post #11 of 11

I don't charge specifically for the mold, but I do add design upcharges for whatever I use as the final design. So for me, a lace mold cake would easily add $$ extra per slice for it. Enough to cover a the cost for the mold, my time, and the extra fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%