Cake For Little Girl That Passed From Cancer

Decorating By jamieq Updated 22 Sep 2011 , 5:19pm by jamieq

jamieq Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamieq Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 10:30pm
post #1 of 12

I am at a heartbreaking loss as to what to do for this family. I have been asked to bake a cake to be donated to a post-funeral reception for a little girl that has bravely lost her battle with her cancer. I need a cake that will not only capture the spirit of this happy 7 year old girl, but be respectful of the grief the family and friends are currently experiencing with her departure. I am fairly new at decorating, and each new cake is a learning experience...

Does anyone have any ideas that as a novice, I can pull off? I would like to deliver a cake that does this little girl justice...

Thanks for your imput!!!

11 replies
Piece_acake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Piece_acake Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 10:45pm
post #2 of 12

How sweet of you to do this for the family! I would do a pale yellow 2 or 3 tier cake with cascading daffodils (official flower). Or maybe you can have an edible image printed of the little girl and place it on top of a cake that is covered in daffodils? hope that helps icon_smile.gif

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 10:54pm
post #3 of 12

I would do something like on this link. Simple and sweet, pastel colors.

http://sweetopia.net/2010/01/baking-for-haiti/

jamieq Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 10:58pm
post #4 of 12

I love both of these ideas. I love that they would be simple... I don't want something grandeur above my skill level. piece_acake... I think yours would be beautiful, and what the family is looking for. I appreciate so much the idea!!

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 12:58pm
post #5 of 12

Oh Gawd! No edible image, how morbid, and no one will want to cut it or eat it! Awkward and horrible!

erin12345 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erin12345 Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 1:26pm
post #6 of 12

I agree, no edible image.

jamieq Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 4:11pm
post #7 of 12

i ran with the simple theme... I think it turned out well (minus the bulges and horrible script...but I digress...) The family loved it, and the little girl's brothers kept taking people from the funeral down to the kitchen to show off their sister's cake. It was so heartbreaking and sweet all at the same time. I was so honored to be involved, but pray that is the LAST one of those I have to do.

jamieq Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 4:15pm
post #8 of 12

i tried to post the attachment, but I guess you have to be smarter than this here thread post...??? If you go to my pics, it is the 3 tiered pink one with yellow roses.

psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 4:29pm
post #9 of 12

she must have a special thing that she liked as most kids do. I did this cake for my special friend who passed from cancer as well. her favorite colors are pink and orange and she loved lady bugs

psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 4:31pm
post #10 of 12

this is the cake I did after my friends funeral
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1892796

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 4:54pm
post #11 of 12

psurrette, she did it already. It's in her photos. Your cake is pretty.

jamieq Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 5:19pm
post #12 of 12

thank you... psurrette, I love your lady bug cake... I wanted to go the princess theme...but I didn't want it to be like a birthday cake that she will not be having. I didn't need emotional breakdowns for my first "big" cake. I was having enough of my own getting through that delivery.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%