I'm Closing My

Business By leah_s Updated 17 Nov 2015 , 3:43pm by TheItalianBaker

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 8:43pm
post #1 of 84

wedding cake business.

I can't even begin to describe how "over" brides I am. How I haven't had a summer Saturday off in a decade. How I'm up to here with doing tastings.

And I couldn't be happier.

Hubby and I are actually speaking to each other. After the four weddings this weekend, it's just 1 or 2 now and then for a few months and I'm freeeeeeeeee!

Oh, and I started a food truck business. www.LouisvilleDessertTruck.com

Now you didn't think I was getting out of the food biz entirely did you?

Now I can make icing that's not white, bake whatever flavor of cake I want, mix all my scraps of fondant together for tie-dyed cookies and have some fun. We did our first gig yesterday. It was small and fun. I already have people calling me wanting to schedule the Truck at festivals and businesses for customer/employee appreciation days, etc.

I have a life again. icon_biggrin.gif

83 replies
Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 8:52pm
post #2 of 84

Heartfelt congratulations to you, and the best of luck (which I am SURE you won't need!)
I love your "sweets to the streets" thing, love the word "enrobed" on your cake pop description. I would love to see a pic of the truck but for some reason it didn't load (I tried Firefox and Safari, maybe it's just a Mac thing, or just a problem today!)
I just feel sorry for all those brides who are not going to get superwhite buttercream from you anymore icon_biggrin.gif

I would love to have a cupcake/dessert truck and bake what *I* want, rather than what people think I ought to have!

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 8:53pm
post #3 of 84

Congratulations and good luck to you! Sounds like fun. I don't know how you did all those cakes every weekend! I'm exhausted after one every other week!
A rolling dessert truck taking 'Sweets to the Street'...Great idea! thumbs_up.gif

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 8:58pm
post #4 of 84

Congratulations to you, and your hubby! Enjoy your new life! The dessert truck sounds like fun!

kimboann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimboann Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 9:00pm
post #5 of 84

I have a friend who so wants to do a dessert truck with me but I am of course a chicken. Love, love that you are actually doing it! best of luck to you! Love your slogan too!

leah_s Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 9:01pm
post #6 of 84

Thanks! I'm on Facebook too, and a pic of the truck is there also. It's actually a high top van. I'm baking everything in my permitted kitchen and vending out of the truck. I know that at least one cupcake truck in NYC bakes in the truck. I can't even imagine how they manage the heat.

leah_s Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 9:05pm
post #7 of 84

kim, sometimes you just have to take a leap off the cliff. I did a quick business plan, missed the mark on how much $ it would take to launch, but heck it's only money, right? No body's gonna die or anything. And now since I've got this chunk of $ invested in the truck, I simply have to make it work. No pressure.

Sounds like exactly how I started my wedding cake business . . .

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 9:10pm
post #8 of 84

Yep, I agree with throwing money at projects, it usually works icon_biggrin.gif Does the truck have a drop down side thing/big window for you to sell out of?
And whatever cupcakes you don't sell during the day can be your B&B guests' breakfast the following morning.

leah_s Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 9:12pm
post #9 of 84

My side window is fixed - like an ice cream truck window.

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 9:16pm
post #10 of 84

Good for you! I wish you the best!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 9:19pm
post #11 of 84

Congratulations...after the weekend I just had that sounds like a good plan.

cakesnglass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesnglass Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 9:31pm
post #12 of 84

Best of luck !!!!!

Candice56 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Candice56 Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 9:58pm
post #13 of 84

Best of Luck to you and your husband in your new venture The Louisville Dessert Truck. thumbs_up.gif

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 10:03pm
post #14 of 84

I,m also happy for you Leah, in know it will all be great.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 10:05pm
post #15 of 84

You go, Girlfriend!

Less stress, less time constraints. You're staying with us, right?

Best Wishes -

Theresa icon_smile.gif

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 10:09pm
post #16 of 84

wow!
Good for you!
icon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif

pj22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pj22 Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 10:17pm
post #17 of 84

Congratulations!!! I have always wanted to own a food truck! icon_smile.gif

tbkimber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tbkimber Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 10:18pm
post #18 of 84

Congratulations!! You have been a source of kindness, help and information for so many here. I wish you blessings and the best of luck in your new adventure!

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 10:22pm
post #19 of 84

whooo hoo! Congrats!! My hubby is STILL trying to talk me into taking this route!!! (instead of custom cakes, sell as I please to locals!) I am so happy for you!!!!

countrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrycakes Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 10:48pm
post #20 of 84

thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif YOU ROCK lady! I am so happy for you....just please stay in touch with us.....don't leave us! We want to hear from you...you are going to do GREAT! icon_smile.gif

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 10:50pm
post #21 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbkimber

Congratulations!! You have been a source of kindness, help and information for so many here. I wish you blessings and the best of luck in your new adventure!

I agree 100%. You will be fabulous success.

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 11:13pm
post #22 of 84

Best Wishes!!! thumbs_up.gif

And, oh, I'll take a butterscotch brownie and a snickerdoodle cupcake. Yum!!!

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 11:16pm
post #23 of 84

Oh, Leah, I don't know what a Palm Beach brownie is, but it sounds yummy!

Have fun with your new endeavor. Hope I can find you if I'm ever in the Derby City.

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 11:19pm
post #24 of 84

way to go Leah!! so glad your able to find your niche!!! you deserve it.. i'm not sure if i have your FB page yet or not. mind my asking for it? icon_smile.gif

luckylibra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luckylibra Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 11:47pm
post #25 of 84

That is so awesome!!!! I am happy for you and your family. What an inspired idea and your posts already sound more relaxed and happy!!!! Congrats

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 11:48pm
post #26 of 84

Leah!

I'm sooo excited for you...and sorta sad at the same time! But...you know what's best for you! I hope everything works out for you.

Hey...have you ever thought of teaching! You have the skills...why not share it!?? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I'm really happy for you...whatever you do!!!

-All the best!!!!! thumbs_up.gif

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 11:56pm
post #27 of 84

Congratulations Leah! I'm sure it will be a great success!

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 11:59pm
post #28 of 84

Whoo-hoo! CONGRATULATIONS and best wishes for tremendous success both personal and business.... what we all need to know is... you are still going to post on CC, right? Your helpful information and direct but kind style cannot be replaced!
Since you are starting out, I suppose you can take a breather and just focus on that amazing dessert truck, but if you aren't back on CC soon you may force us to join forces in Louisville to protest.... could you possibly supply a friendly picket line with a few hundred of those yummy sounding cupcakes? icon_wink.gif

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 12:04am
post #29 of 84

Wow! Congratulations. I'm sure it will be great! I do hope you still plan to check in from to time. I may not say much, but I have gotten very use to learning from your advice in forums.

Wishing you wonderful new adventures!

Jeanne

cs_confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cs_confections Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 12:06am
post #30 of 84

How exciting! Congrats!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%