Making Your Own Birthday Cake

Decorating By reginaherrin Updated 13 Sep 2011 , 5:00pm by sccandwbfan

reginaherrin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reginaherrin Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 8:01pm
post #1 of 37

I was wondering how many of you guys make their own cakes. My birthday is today and I totally did not want to make a cake. So how many of you make your own cakes and how many don't? Also if you don't would you rather have cake or some kind of dessert? I'm not a huge cake eater (go figure) and would rather have some kind of chocolate dessert or even a really chocolately cake and since I work with cake so much I may just be burnt out with cake and I just wondered if anyone else was like that.

36 replies
Panel7124 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Panel7124 Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 8:12pm
post #2 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by reginaherrin

I was wondering how many of you guys make their own cakes. My birthday is today and I totally did not want to make a cake. So how many of you make your own cakes and how many don't? Also if you don't would you rather have cake or some kind of dessert? I'm not a huge cake eater (go figure) and would rather have some kind of chocolate dessert or even a really chocolately cake and since I work with cake so much I may just be burnt out with cake and I just wondered if anyone else was like that.

HAPPY BIRTHDAYYYY TO YOUUUU....!!! thumbs_up.gif

Mine is 24 Sep and no cake... it's enought for me to see and make them everyday!

MerlotCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerlotCook Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 8:14pm
post #3 of 37

I love making my own birthday cake, but I only decorate about 30 cakes a year. For my birthday I usually try something new or just make a yummy dessert that I've been wanting.

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 8:21pm
post #4 of 37

I've done simple and I've gone all out, but I decide when I make my own cake, lol. This year, I wanted an ice cream cake and that's what DH got me. icon_smile.gif

madcobbler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madcobbler Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 8:32pm
post #5 of 37

I used to make my own birthday cakes/desserts until 3 years ago when I told my family I really didn't feel like making my own birthday cake anymore. My husband and daughter cheerfully offered to make me a chocolate cake. A delicious alternative for me is cheesecake or a tart.

All4Show Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
All4Show Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 8:45pm
post #6 of 37

I would love it if somebody in my family would make my birthday cake without any prompting. Not gonna happen.

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 9:02pm
post #7 of 37

I make my cakes for family or for fun so I look forward to making my birthday cake. I've made myself cakes that are overly tall or elaborate and of course, overly chocolate! Last year I made a 7 layer cake with tootsie roll roses and modeling chocolate roses on top (in my gallery). My sister's birthday is a week after mine so it's a 'share' cake. I make something 1) that I want to eat and 2) that's something different. Haven't decided yet for this year.... I say make what you want! Or get what you want! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 9:07pm
post #8 of 37

First of all, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Usually my younger daughter, who is also a caker, makes my cake for me and this year is no different. But we are going to their house the weekend before, which is out of town, to celebrate and then the following weekend doing a party here. This is the first time I've had to do my own cake in years (and yes, I know a cake is expected) and I can NOT make up my mind what I want it to look like! You would think I'd be my easiest client but this is HARD! LOL!

Let us know what you came up with!

Cat

kenidicalamity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kenidicalamity Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 9:22pm
post #9 of 37

I almost always make my bday cake, and can't wait to make it again this year! I feel like it refreshes my passion for cake making, since it the one cake of the year I 100% love every part of, and I get to have so much fin only pleasing myself lol.

giraffe11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giraffe11 Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 9:27pm
post #10 of 37

I always make my own.......often something new and different or more time consuming and elaborate than my usual. It doesn't have to be cake though.......could be something chocolate or cookies or whatever I am in the mood for. I am a dessert snob. lol I really think that 90% (or more) of the desserts my husband could buy for me elsewhere are substandard and simply not worth the calories. So, I make my own..... That way I know it'll be good. icon_smile.gif Happy Birthday, whatever you decide to do.

reginaherrin Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 9:45pm
post #11 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panel7124

Quote:
Originally Posted by reginaherrin

HAPPY BIRTHDAYYYY TO YOUUUU....!!! thumbs_up.gif

Mine is 24 Sep and no cake... it's enought for me to see and make them everyday!

Thanks so much. That's funny cause my brothers is the 24th.

RAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RAZ Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 9:52pm
post #12 of 37

I've never made my own birthday cake. I requested a french silk pie with a graham cracker crust for my next birthday, as I too am am not a huge cake eater.

Panel7124 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Panel7124 Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 9:54pm
post #13 of 37

Thanks so much. That's funny cause my brothers is the 24th.[/quote]

icon_lol.gif yeah, it's funny: 2 x 12 = 24 (your parents have calculated well the date, haven't they?). Enjoy last minutes of your b-day!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 10:01pm
post #14 of 37

I haven't had a birthday cake for years. Generally we either do a family dinner or at least my parents take me out to eat, so I just order dessert where ever we are. icon_smile.gif

BizCoCos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BizCoCos Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 10:05pm
post #15 of 37

I will be making my own this year, December baby have not decided on a theme yet, although I have another large cake due on the 4th of December, ok, now I'm confused, lol, both are for the same family household, happy birthday Regina!!!!!

Sugar_N_Spice_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_N_Spice_Cakes Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 10:05pm
post #16 of 37

My husband bakes my birthday cake with my children's help, I get to choose the flavors. Then the kids decorate them. A very fun tradition! They are now 6, 5, 5, and 2 and I think they do a FANTASTIC job piping!
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1702312
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2127160

bakerliz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakerliz Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 10:16pm
post #17 of 37

I call it "Birthday Week" and use it as an excuse to make every dessert I didn't make all year because I was afraid I'd eat it all! I always include 1 cake and it's usually something I've been desperately wanting to try icon_biggrin.gif

Enchantedcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Enchantedcakes Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 10:25pm
post #18 of 37

My husband makes my birthday cake. I have know him since high-school and never knew he could paint until after college and we were married and he decided he would make my birthday cake since I had tons of orders the weekend of my birthday. The cake was beautiful, he carved and hand painted a harlequin mask. Now he is my assistant on weekends and makes my cake every year. Sometimes you think you know someone and then they surprise you.

kimbm04r Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimbm04r Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 10:27pm
post #19 of 37

I don't make my own cake. I don't enjoy eating it enough to make it, but a couple years ago, about 2 weeks before my birthday, my daughter asked me to make a cake for her for the birthday of a friend at work. On my birthday my husband was going to take me out to dinner at a friend's restaraunt but he said we needed to stop at my daughter's house on the way because they wanted to barrow something and we were going to drop it off on the way. When we got there she surprised me with a birthday party. When it was time for the cake, she brought out the one that I had made a few weeks prior that she told me she needed for a friend at work. It was great she sure did pull on over on me and tricked me into making my own birthday cake. I got her back because when her birthday rolled around a few months later, I made 2 cakes for her, one sand-filled styrofoam that I delivered to her at work. and a real one that I had delivered to her co-workers the day before. I would have loved to have a video of her trying to cut the fake cake. From what I understand she really got fooled good.

SammieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SammieB Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 10:28pm
post #20 of 37

I only do this for a hobby, so for me getting to make my own birthday cake is super exciting! My younger bro's bday is Sept. 22, and mine is the 30th, and we have a family reunion every year in early October so I make us bday cakes on that day so they will get eaten. icon_smile.gif This year he requested a strawberry cake with cream cheese icing, and I'm doing a pumpkin spice cake for myself. I decided to make his look like a tree stump, mine like a pumpkin, and then make a bunch of pulled sugar leaves flavored like cinnamon candy all around the 2. I am so super excited!!! Plus I picked up a new leaf mold as an early birthday present.

Mammadukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mammadukes Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 11:02pm
post #21 of 37

First off let me say HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you reginaherrin and I did make my own birthday cake and wouldn't have had it any other way lol it was the Betty Boop purse cake in my pics whatever you deside to do make or buy your cake I hope your day went well Happy Birthday again : )

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 11:07pm
post #22 of 37

I make my own, too. At least I have for the past 2 years. I get to make my (current) favorite flavor combinations and try out designs that I want. This is just a hobby for me so it's not like I make that many cakes, anyway.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2135047
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1974211

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 11:23pm
post #23 of 37

I made myself a birthday cake this year, really more because I wanted to try out an idea I hadn't done before and was not sure if it would work (so if I mucked it up, well it's only my cake so it doesn't matter.) Plus I figured I should make myself a proper cake just once, seeing as I seem to always be making them for everyone else in our families. Will hunt up a pic of it...

ETA: here's a pic, it was 8"-10" & the ice-cream was 19" tall.

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 11:28pm
post #24 of 37

This year is the first time I made my own birthday cake. I actually had a party and it was shared with my best friend. So, I did a 5-tiered cake, 4-6-8-10-12, simply because I could. I mean if you gotta make your own cake you might as well go all out. icon_wink.gif

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 11:31pm
post #25 of 37

I'am making my own cake this year. Although it will be two weeks late, I want to make a particular flavor combo. I figure it's NEVER to late to eat cake!
If all goes well I will post at the end of the week.

Coral3 Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 11:48pm
post #26 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar_N_Spice_Cakes

My husband bakes my birthday cake with my children's help, I get to choose the flavors. Then the kids decorate them. A very fun tradition! They are now 6, 5, 5, and 2 and I think they do a FANTASTIC job piping!
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1702312
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2127160

So precious, you gotta love it. We've just had Father's Day here in Australia...I made a cake for my husband and gave my 4yo son a pile of coloured fondant and put him in charge of decorating - it turned out so cute (and I'm sure my husband was much more impressed with that than anything I would have made anyway thumbs_up.gif )

Coral3 Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 11:54pm
post #27 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enchantedcakes

My husband makes my birthday cake. I have know him since high-school and never knew he could paint until after college and we were married and he decided he would make my birthday cake since I had tons of orders the weekend of my birthday. The cake was beautiful, he carved and hand painted a harlequin mask. Now he is my assistant on weekends and makes my cake every year. Sometimes you think you know someone and then they surprise you.

Aaww, what a sweet hubby! That's so nice. icon_smile.gif

augurey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
augurey Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 12:11am
post #28 of 37

First, Happy Birthday! icon_smile.gif

This is my first year really into cakes, so no I've never made my own. I've only ever had the store bought lol though last year my boyfriend got me a sweet Harry Potter cake (which I've wanted since I was 18 or 19 lol).

This year though... my boyfriend plans on making mine. He's been planing it since his birthday in June lol He is so excited about it and said all he wants from me is to give him the recipes. I think it's rather adorable and will love whatever he does regardless of how it turns out.

reginaherrin Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 2:49am
post #29 of 37

Thanks for all the birthday wishes. I thought I would let everyone know what I ended up with. I left it up to my family to do something and my dad ended up making a mint cheesecake with mint chocolate crust and chocolate covering the whole cake. It was really good and it was great that he did a dessert instead of cake without me telling him that was my preference. I guess he knows me better then I thought. The funny thing about it was the chocolate covering, it was suppose to be more like a ganche but he used some chocolate that I left over his house recently which is actually what I used for candy making so it was like a chocolate shell. But it was still really really good. He is a really good cook and loves making desserts and especially cheesecakes. He makes this pumpkin cheesecake with chocolate and carmel drizzled on top, and even though I hate pumpkin its really good and everyone raves over it.

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 3:48am
post #30 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcee

I make my own, too. At least I have for the past 2 years. I get to make my (current) favorite flavor combinations and try out designs that I want. This is just a hobby for me so it's not like I make that many cakes, anyway.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2135047
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1974211

Same here! It's not my job - it's a hobby so it's fun. I think I make the best cakes so who better to do my b-day cake than me! Heres the last couple. I am excited about what to make this yr.
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1908769
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1552537

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%