I Need To Put A Tunnel In The Middle Of My Cake

Decorating By autigger57 Updated 19 Sep 2011 , 3:44am by ReneeFLL

autigger57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
autigger57 Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 5:35pm
post #1 of 11

I am making a chuggington train cake and I was talking to my friend that asked for it. She had already bought the trains for the cake and her little boy wanted a tunnel for them. My first thought was an illusion of a tunnel like all the others, but then she was like he would be really disappointed if it was a real tunnel.

Any suggestions on creating the tunnel? I thought rkt but wondered if they would be firm enough to hold a layer of cake on top.

Help!! icon_eek.gif

10 replies
seedrv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seedrv Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 5:49pm
post #2 of 11

I've never made a tunnel but my first thought was using a cut up soda bottle or some plastic container that fruit in the produce section comes in. Then frost and/or fondant coat it. When she cuts the cake hitting the soda bottle will be like hitting a piece of cake cardboard. Maybe?

stampinron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stampinron Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 6:34pm
post #3 of 11

I was thinking of a PVC pipe halved, but the soda pop bottle idea is great! I guess it depends on how large the cake is and if the bottle will do or if you need to go to the hardware departement.

or Possibly a pringles can with foodsafe wrap on it?

Bri122005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bri122005 Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 6:56pm
post #4 of 11

I did a Dinosaur Train cake with a tunnel in the middle. I used the wilton wedding cake plates & tiers and covered them in fondant/gumpaste mix. Just mushed the fondant in at first to make the walls and let them harden. Then I rolled rocks and put them on the outside and stacked another cake on the top plate. It worked really well.

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 7:28pm
post #5 of 11

I did a Thomas cake (in my gallery) that had a tunnel. Since it was my first "major" cake I was winging it. Luckily my cake was soooo dense it supported itself. However, if done again I would take a can, snip the bottom 1/4-1/3 off and cover it in black fondant. I used a circle cookie cutter and slid it through the cake (it wasn't torted and was a wondermold cake) to create the hole.

autigger57 Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 2:25am
post #6 of 11

So kitty you didnt have anything supporting the opening? I think the pringles can may be the best and cheapest idea.....thanks everyone!!! thumbs_up.gif

Motorhead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motorhead Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 1:33pm
post #7 of 11

i also made a tunnel in my thomas the train cake (in my gallery), i cut one side of a sour cream plastic container, then i layered cake around it and covered with mmf. seemed to hold up really well. i just let the mom know that there was a container in there. since it's a food safe product i thought it was the best option at the time. i then put a train in the tunnel. hth

geri4292adams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
geri4292adams Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 2:00pm
post #8 of 11

why could'nt you just roll gumpaste out dry it in the shape of a tunnel, decorate it and them place it on the top of your cake?

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 3:17pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by autigger57

So kitty you didnt have anything supporting the opening? I think the pringles can may be the best and cheapest idea.....thanks everyone!!! thumbs_up.gif

Nope, no support and it was a miracle the dang thing didn't collapse. icon_surprised.gif

I honestly think it was because it was extremely dense, not on purpose but like I said, didn't know what I was doing and it was the first time making a WonderMold cake. I still can't get the darn things to turn out.

OP, let us know how it turns out.

autigger57 Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 3:14am
post #10 of 11

I used the pringle can idea. It worked great. You can see the pics in my gallery! The little boy was sooo happy the tunnel was real... icon_biggrin.gif

ReneeFLL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReneeFLL Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 3:44am
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri122005

I did a Dinosaur Train cake with a tunnel in the middle. I used the wilton wedding cake plates & tiers and covered them in fondant/gumpaste mix. Just mushed the fondant in at first to make the walls and let them harden. Then I rolled rocks and put them on the outside and stacked another cake on the top plate. It worked really well.

That sounds like a great idea.

Also, someone mentioned a soda bottle. A large 2 liter soda bottle would be good for a large round tunnel.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%