Crumbling Modelling Chocolate....

Baking By JamAndButtercream Updated 12 Sep 2011 , 10:28pm by JamAndButtercream

JamAndButtercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JamAndButtercream Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 3:05pm
post #1 of 3

Hi Everyone,
Are there any uk bakers who make their own modelling choc?

I'm trying to make modelling choc in small amounts, because it keeps going wrong!!!

I know that the US recipes use corn syrup and the UK alternative is golden syrup right?

The first time I made it, I added the syrup, and put it in the fridge, ruined it, thumbsdown.gif
Second time, added the syrup, and I think I added too much, ruined again, thumbsdown.gif
Third time ruined again because I think I added too little thumbsdown.gif

I hate wasting things! and its putting me off making it again because it keeps getting wasted!!!! what am I doing wrong?

Any help is great thanks!

2 replies
B7jac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
B7jac Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 6:03pm
post #2 of 3

Hi, I too have been trying to master modelling chocolate!!! I have however found a UK recipe as apparently US chocolate is different to ours and thats why we get it wrong! This recipe uses Tesco's own choc and I made it with Silver spoon choc and it has turned out fine, very hard in the fridge but after a little kneading it goes soft very quickly, however the trouble i am having is (i am trying to make a bow!) once warm it becomes very soft indeed and will not hold its shape I have constantly put it back in the fridge but I am still not happy!! perhaps you can try this recipe and let me know how you get on!
Jackie
http://www.uk30.com/uk-30-articles/an-overview-of-the-modeling-chocolate-cake-for-uk-makers.html

JamAndButtercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JamAndButtercream Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 10:28pm
post #3 of 3

Hi Jackie
Thankyou for the reply and link, I will try this recipe, it seems slightly different to the ones I've been using,

I'll update when I try it! Thanks icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%