Painting! And Mini Vent

Lounge By ConfectionsCC Updated 21 Sep 2011 , 10:54am by scp1127

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 2:40pm
post #1 of 6

Okay, so its 9 30 am....so far, I have cussed out loud at how hard it is to remove drywall dust from the celling, walls, and floors...gave evil looks to all the dry wall putty left on the floor (I am talking mountainous globs!) Then, hit my elbow on the edge of a bucket, and somehow busted it open icon_confused.gif SO bandaide is on...stopping for a bite to eat now...but good news is, if I survive today..I will have my room cleaned, and primed!! Hopefully I will be painting the final coat tom morning!! One more step closer to having a licensed home kitchen icon_biggrin.gif THanks for letting me vent!!

5 replies
dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 2:56pm
post #2 of 6

To scrape drywall popcorn off ceiling, just spray it with water and get a metal scraper and softly scrape ceiling. No dust and it comes off easy. I think this is what you are referring to when you say you are removing dry wall dust from ceiling.

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 3:08pm
post #3 of 6

No, its a newly built room, we slicked it off so no popcorn!! They sanded it nice and smooth for me, but before I can start painting, I have to remove all the excess dust and dirt from the room!! Its EVERYWHERE!! MIL gave me a good idea though, wet my broom for the floors, and use my swiffer with a damp rag for the walls and selling!!

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 11:22pm
post #4 of 6

Open a window and put a box fan in the window with it blowing outside. It will draw out some of the dust.

ReneeFLL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReneeFLL Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 6:25am
post #5 of 6

Do you have a wet shop vac? Hubby has one for the garage and it is great for dust like that. I put some water in the vac wet side (you could also put some water on the floor and vac it up). Now when you start vacuuming the dust will get caught in the water that is already in the vacuum and will stay in there and not blow back out into the room.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 10:54am
post #6 of 6

Look up your nose. That's where lots of that dust went.

I used to own a construction company and one of our specialties was skim plastering. Get a good sponge, wet it slightly, and go over the drywall. The floor will take a few swipes with a damp mop. In the future, anything damp will attract and absorb the dust. I used those blue disposable tarps sprayed a little with water.

To avoid this situation, remove most of the mud while it is wet with a putty knife-like tool that smoothes the tape. Then DO NOT sand. Use the damp smooth sponge to smooth out any rough spots. You can do this several times, just like sanding.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%