What Would Cause Mmf To Have This Crater Look

Decorating By Cosima Updated 12 Sep 2011 , 8:07pm by QTCakes1

Cosima Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cosima Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 1:36pm
post #1 of 9

Before I even put this on the cake, this fondant had this look. What would cause this? I made this recipe found here: http://cakecentral.com/recipes/18779/marshmallow-fondant-7

I love the taste but I can't seem to get MMF to be right.

8 replies
ALVARGA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ALVARGA Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 1:43pm
post #2 of 9

I use this recipe all the time. I think that maybe you did not knead it enough. I knead until it is smooth and remember to let it sit overnight. It also looks like maybe your powdered sugar had some lumps that did not dissovle in to the fondant. If you still have some of the fondant try kneading it some more and maybe using just a touch more crisco, I usually just rub it on my hands and that is enough. Good Luck..HTH

Cosima Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cosima Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 1:53pm
post #3 of 9

Thanks but I don't think it's the kneading. I will say I've been trying to get this recipe right so this time I left it a little more sticky then usual, being afraid to add to much PS. PS was sifted prior to adding. Is it because I let it rest in the fridge vs. out on the counter (covered of course)? I'm determined to get this right! I will make a ton of batches til I do so (LOL)

I remade Michelle Foster's Fondant recipe and that came out great but cost a bit more to make.

jenng1482 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenng1482 Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 2:12pm
post #4 of 9

Do you add salt? What size grain do you use? If you use a larger grain salt, the larger dimples could be caused by the grains disolving. I put my salt into a food prcessor and then store in a shaker.

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 2:17pm
post #5 of 9

I use MMF exclusively and have never added salt. Am I missing something?

AnotherCreation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCreation Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 2:18pm
post #6 of 9

I have never put mmf in the fridge. My guess would be that is the problem. I always double wrap in plastic wrap and let rest on the counter. If i don't need it for a few days then I go ahead and put the plastic wrapped mmf in a ziplock bag too.

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 2:22pm
post #7 of 9

Mine also looks like that until I knead it. I've used it for years, you definitely have to knead it longer, that's how you'll get the smooth finish.

It takes a lot of good kneading to bring it together smoothly.

Sweetestdreamcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetestdreamcakes Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 7:54pm
post #8 of 9

I've had a big problem with the pitting, i have noticed that if I dont let the fondant get warm enough then it is alot worse. I keep mine in the fridge until the day i use it, then let it sit in the saran wrap until its easily plyable. I have to knead it for a awhile to get it warm and it seems to work better. The colder my MMF is the worse it pocks and pits. HTH thumbs_up.gif

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 8:07pm
post #9 of 9

If you used salt and did not grind it fine, then that is what caused it. I got tired of grinding my salt, so I just skip it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%