Going To Travel 500 Miles With Wedding Cake And Grooms Cake.

Decorating By wifey Updated 12 Sep 2011 , 3:59am by shawnteel

wifey Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 3:24am
post #1 of 7

How would you do this? Wedding cake is 4 tiers. I will not stack the cakes until I am at the reception area. Wedding begins at 6 p.m. For travel purposes, I will place the decorated 12", 10", 8", and the 6" on separate non slip material in the back of my tahoe and leave around 9 in the morning. The reception is at a ranch under a huge tent with approximately 220 guests. I am also doing the grooms cake, chocolate 14" square with a cowboy boot out of cake, decorated in fondant and to be placed on top of the 14" square chocolate grooms cake. I am carrying extra decorating equipment, fondant, fondant leaves, flowers, etc. . . as well as items for the grooms cake. I have done this before, but for some reason or another, I am apprehensive about this one. How would you prepare yourself for this trip? I feel that I planned well, but I guess I am second guessing myself. What would you do? And do you ever second guess yourself????

6 replies
shawnteel Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 3:36am
post #2 of 7

I understand completely! Just make sure you have everything you would use if you were decorating it at home, bags, tips, couplers, spatulas, etc.even if you think you will not need it. The one thing you leave behind is the one thing you will wish you had! Im sure you will do great.

carolinagirlcakes Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 3:43am
post #3 of 7

Invest in a cake safe! I just read about this on another post and I am in love. cake safe dot com

I am not sure it sounds like you have it figured out. Just say a little prayer and hope for the best. Good luck!

handymama Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 3:48am
post #4 of 7

You didn't say anything about having the cakes in boxes; will they be? I would absolutely not have them sitting in the open. I use clear Rubbermaid bins that are used ONLY for cakes: place the cake on rubber shelf liner in the bin, then place the bin on shelf liner. If you stop quick or swerve things can go flying into your cake--even if they're in cake boxes. The bins not only protect during travel, they're easy to carry and offer protection if it rains. I use both tall "normal" bins and the lower "under the bed" type. I've traveled long distances with cakes without incident, but you definitely want a well-equipped emergency kit "just in case".

happyascanbee Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 3:55am
post #5 of 7

wow 500 miles... that is nerve wracking... I hope they are paying you a lot of xtra $$$ just to bring this cake to the wedding reception.. good luck.. thumbs_up.gif

jules5000 Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 3:59am
post #6 of 7

Second guess myself quite frequently. sometimes I get so organized that I forget that I have put what I needed in the vehicle or bag or whatever already and then I have to go back through my stuff to find it. I think that from now on, that I am going to make my self lists of what goes in each box I am taking and cross it off the list(by putting a check mark by it) when I put it in the box. I think that you have thought everything through, but you just sit down and write yourself lists and make sure you have all of your stuff out. Look at it and see if it looks like you have forgotten anything. Sometimes when you lay it all out before you pack it up to go it will remind you of something you may have forgot. Also one other idea you might consider is this what is the size of the town you are going to? would there be a chance that if you left something at home that you could get it from a store there before you ever went to the church? Like for instance if you remember something on the way that you wanted to put in and didn't or that you might want more then you brought with you. temporarily pull off the road and make yourself a note to buy such and such when you pull into town. Then when you get there you won't have forgotten what you wanted to buy when yuou arrived. Best wishes. I am sure that you will do fine and they will love the cake.

shawnteel Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 3:59am
post #7 of 7

Yes you would deffinately want them covered Espically traveling for that distance. I use cardboard boxes, my husband brings them home from work but they can be purchased just about anywhere relatively inexpensive. I try getting a box that closely fits the cake I'm using and cut it down to size. I cut down two sides so I can easily slide the cake in and out of the box then tape the side of the box and use plastic wrap for the top. It sou da hokey but it's really not lol it looks nice and the customers and myself can easily get the cake in and out of the boxes without trying to hold the side of the cake board and lift it in and out it can simply slide in and out...make sense? Sorry if I'm confusing but if your method works for you don't change things do what you are most comfortable with and have your supplies on hand for any repairs or anything you may have to do upon arrival and set up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%