Does Anyone Use Pvc Pipes For Supports?

Decorating By doramoreno62 Updated 19 Sep 2011 , 4:36am by doramoreno62

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 3:20am
post #1 of 18

I've been thinking of using them for supports. You can easily cut them to size with a PVC cutter and they are strong, sturdy and super inexpensive.m However, I'm Leary to use them since I'm not sure if they are food safe. My hubby says they must be, because they are used in plumbing and water runs thru them and some people do drink tap water. I see them used all the time on those cake challenge shows. Does anyone out there use them?

17 replies
shawnteel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shawnteel Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 3:28am
post #2 of 18

I use them and that is all I will use. I had a cake fall using wooden dowels that my mother has used for 40 years with no problem, fluke accident or not I had to experiment and I started using pvc. As you sais they are very inexpensive, easy to cut with the right tool. I cut it and wash it really good, I can stack a cake and travel with it and it doesnt go anywhere.

BizCoCos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BizCoCos Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 3:40am
post #3 of 18

is there a tuturial here or online on how to use pvc?

BizCoCos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BizCoCos Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 3:41am
post #4 of 18

is there a tuturial here or online on how to use pvc?

shawnteel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shawnteel Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 3:49am
post #5 of 18

I haven't seen one but I haven't really looked. I just cut the PVC like you would cut and use and other kind of support. There are different tools at the hardware store that can be used to easily cut clean even lines in the PVC. I even have my mom using PVC after using wooden dowels for many many years.

addietx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
addietx Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 4:32am
post #6 of 18

Could they be less expensive than the white Wilton supports that can be cut with a knife?

kisamarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kisamarie Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 4:53am
post #7 of 18

Are you talking about PVC like you get in a home improvement store? Please clarify, because there are alot of reasons why that is not a wise choice of materials to use when in contact with food. PVC conains materials that can be extremely toxic and are highly controversal right now. Google it and you will see what I'm referring to.

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 5:43am
post #8 of 18

PVC is used for water pipes, so it is designed to be used with water that we ingest. I wouldn't worry about it, most people drink water through pvc everyday. It would be impossible to avoid, its used in so many applications, surgery, packaging, so I wouldn't be concerned. For the rare amount of time it would be used in a cake, can't imagine it being harmful.

doramoreno62 Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 5:49am
post #9 of 18

Yes. Kisamarie, those are the ones I'm talking about. I will google them. But isn't that what is used on TV? Then the winning cake is used for either. A wedding or birthday or whatever the challenge happens to be about.
Addietx, they cost. About $2-3 for a looooong piece! Like 8 feet or something so yes, they are much cheaper than Wiltons!

doramoreno62 Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 5:53am
post #10 of 18

Cathyscakes thats what the DH says.

doramoreno62 Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 6:05am
post #11 of 18

PVC, CPVC, PEX, and Other Plastic Plumbing Materials
Plastic plumbing has been used for potable and non-potable water applications since the 1950s. Initially, there were many concerns about these products potentially leaching harmful chemicals into the water. To ensure that the public's health was protected, independent standards were quickly developed which established strict guidelines for these products.
Today, plastic plumbing products designed for potable water applications are usually designated with either "NSF-PW" or "NSF-61" to indicate that the product complies with the health effects requirements of NSF/ANSI Standard 61 for materials designed for contact with potable water. This standard also establishes similar guidelines for other plumbing materials, including copper tubing. If your pipe is not coded with one of these designations or if it is designated with an alternative code such "NSF-DWV," it is probably not meant for potable water applications and should not be used for such purposes.

I found this info on NSF.org

addietx Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 3:50pm
post #12 of 18

Several years ago a baker on CC named classycakes, posted info about clear plastic tubing from the website www.cleartec packaging. com (remove spaces) They are food grade, smooth finish, not rippled and comes in 48" lengths 1" diameter separate legs fit down into the tubes easily I like them because they are clear and more professional looking than pvc plumbing pipe.

addietx Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 3:53pm
post #13 of 18

Oh and so cheap!!

steffla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffla Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 4:12pm
post #14 of 18

Addietx would you mind sharing which items they are. I looked at that site and there are so many varieties! Also where does it show the price? And where does it say they are food grade? Very interested, thanks!

addietx Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 4:21pm
post #15 of 18

www.cleartec packaging.com

Mr. Carson's email address is
rcarson@cleartec packaging.com

I would call 800-817-8967 to get prices
stating what you want and that it is for cakes

we purchased the 1/2" and the 1" and were very pleased
I can't remember the price since it was so long ago
but I remember being very pleased

steffla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffla Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 4:41pm
post #16 of 18

Addietx would you mind sharing which items they are. I looked at that site and there are so many varieties! Also where does it show the price? And where does it say they are food grade? Very interested, thanks!

Jeannem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeannem Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 2:07pm
post #17 of 18

How would you attach the clear tec tubes to the board??

Not to change the subject, but recently I needed internal support for a few shorter items--purse, boot. I had DH saw a SPS plate in half, hot glued it to the board, then used the 9" column in the cake. That tall skinny boot traveled 25 miles in the hot trunk of my sister's car without tipping over...

doramoreno62 Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 4:36am
post #18 of 18

So after researching and checking the code on the PVC pipe to make sure it was safe to use, I bought a 10ft by 1/2 inch diameter pipe for $1.88. I used it on the cake that I made on Saturday and it worked great! I also had about 20 inches left over. If you're interested, its the Hello Kitty/Zebra cake in my photos. Thanks for all the input!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%