Retail Bakery Freezing Cookies Ok?

Baking By KuyaRomeo Updated 12 Sep 2011 , 1:29pm by DianeLM

KuyaRomeo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KuyaRomeo Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 2:46am
post #1 of 3

We have finally landed a deal to place some of our baked cookies, cakes and cupcakes in a retail store. It is a very small store, but we are excited none the less. It is actually a store where we are renting a shared kitchen in the back.

Because we are small time and just starting out slowly, I have a full time day job that I can't afford to leave at this time. So, I will be going into the kitchen each morning, making some products, assembling, stocking our products in the store, then going to work.

After work, I am going back to take inventory and make any special orders, etc . .

LONG LONG days ahead for me.

My question is: Is it ethical for a bakery that prides itself on fresh, from scratch items . . to freeze cookies and then take them out as needed for the store front?

I have tested every cookie recipe and they seem to freeze very well. I would never guess (and I am very very sensitive to things like this in taste).

Is this typical for bakeries to do this? Or would I be kinda cheating? I would love to always make fresh daily for the store . . I am just not sure if I have time for 4 hours of baking before work each morning.

Suggestions?

2 replies
LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 2:53am
post #2 of 3

I have frozen my dough. If it is not in the freezer for a long time, it is okay to bake and stills tastes fresh. I freeze them in rolls and let them defrost and then bake. I do not like the texture or taste of a frozen cookie. I think it does make a difference.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 1:29pm
post #3 of 3

The opposite of "fresh" is not "frozen". The opposite of fresh is "stale". If your cookies taste fresh and delicious after being in the freezer, you are doing it right. However, if you let your cookies sit out at room temp (or god forbid - the refrigerator) and get stale, that's a problem.

The only caveat I'd throw in is, if the freezer is "frost-free", then you run the risk of damaging your cookies. A frost-free freezer's temperature fluctuates. It goes up enough to melt any frost that has accumulated. That's why you see a layer of frozen condensation on the contents of the freezer. This raising and lowering of the temp can wreak havoc on delicate baked goods. Best bet is a good ol' frosty freezer with a steady, controllable temp.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%