Fake Cake Pops. . .

Baking By forheavenscake Updated 19 Apr 2013 , 10:24am by Babbo

forheavenscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forheavenscake Posted 11 Sep 2011 , 11:56pm
post #1 of 21

Not sure where to post this, but thought maybe some other businesses have ran into the same problem and have a solution.

I bring my cake pops to the farmer's market every saturday and the FL summer heat is NO good for them. LOL So I have been putting them in a cooler and trying to just rotate them. It's been working pretty well so far, but I still lose a couple each weekend.

So then I thought maybe there is a way to make 'dummy' cake pops so I can display them, but safely keep the real ones in the cooler away from the heat.

Anyone have any idea how to make that wonderful idea come to fruition?? LOL

20 replies
Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 12:07am
post #2 of 21

Never had the problem as I hate making them, but I would suggest using styrofoam balls from a craft shop in the same size. I use these to make wedding cake cute couple toppers. Just coat them in the same stuff.

forheavenscake Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 12:14am
post #3 of 21

That's what I was thinking about doing. . .Only concern is I usually make the cupcake shaped ones because they really draw people to the table. . so not sure how I'd get that shape..Guess I could just shave it down to look like a cupcake.

P.S. I truly hate making them as well! But they sell so much better than the cupcakes at the market. My main business focus are my custom cakes, the pops and cupcakes are just a way into the market to advertise. LOL I went without any last week and people spazzed out that I didn't bring them. . so if I must .. I MUST!

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 12:18am
post #4 of 21

Check the $ store for the styrofoam balls the cost is probably lower.

cup-caker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cup-caker Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 12:19am
post #5 of 21

why not make your cupcake shape out of gumpaste and insert the stick before it dries. it will dry rock hard and then you can decorate it the same way you would decorate the cake ones!!

HTH =]

forheavenscake Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 12:36am
post #6 of 21

That's not a bad idea!! only downfall is that could get expensive. . I was wanting to make at least four of them. . the styrofoam might be cheaper. Thanks everyone! I will go price checking tomorrow and see what is best!

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 1:12am
post #7 of 21

I have a suggestion: Use the fake ice packets that are about $1.00 each at Walmart. Use enough to line the bottom. I use 6. There is no condensation. I use a new cooler, the ice on the bottom, a towel across to stop slipping, and my cake boxes. Everything stays at a safe temp and comes to room temp about 15 minutes out of the cooler. This is not too cool for the chocolate.

karukaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karukaru Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 2:03am
post #8 of 21

Hi there!
I am also from south Florida. I live in broward county and you? In which farmer's marketmarket do you sell your pops?

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 6:20am
post #9 of 21

How about line your cupcake pan, and fill with plaster of paris? It is just a few bucks at the craft store, but the dust is dangerous, and it heats up when it sets, so don't get it on you...read the label before you buy it!

JamAndButtercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 3:54pm
post #11 of 21

Rice Krispie Treats work as a sub as well. I used premade, and they were pretty easy to shape in balls, so I can't see them working for other things. They stay on the sticks in the heat.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 12:06am
post #12 of 21

Just take styrofoam balls and crush them into the right shape.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 1:38am
post #13 of 21

My vote is for styro or RKT

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 1:42am
post #14 of 21

My vote is for styro or RKT

forheavenscake Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 2:09am
post #15 of 21

Oh the RKT is another great idea and I have some on hand already! I will attempt this tomorrow. Thanks everyone!!

Karukaru - I am in Hillsborough County and I go to the Ybor City Saturday Market. It's so much fun .. such great people there. Looking at branching out to a few other markets, but for now am happy in my little bubble.. LOL!!

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 2:54am
post #16 of 21

you can also try makin a nice cake pop set up- take a good photo of it and laminate it with flavors prices etc and post that on your table?

maudabom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maudabom Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 2:41am
post #17 of 21

RKT all the way... and hey, you may end up selling the RKT pops too !!

forheavenscake Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 12:51pm
post #18 of 21

I ended up using Styrofoam balls but will probably use rkt next time. I just didn't feel like making any. Lol. Lazy week! Thanks so much for all the help.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 2:50pm
post #19 of 21

Go buy the premade ones. icon_wink.gif They hold up better for this than the homemade ones do.

bakarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakarie Posted 12 Apr 2013 , 2:44pm
post #20 of 21

Make samples out of Rice krispy treats!

Babbo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babbo Posted 19 Apr 2013 , 10:24am
post #21 of 21

Styroform sounds good!Good you make a book to using photobox to showcase designs in the summer?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%