Gumpaste Or Fresh Flowers Between Tiers?

Decorating By Emmar308 Updated 14 Sep 2011 , 9:32am by cakecoachonline

Emmar308 Posted 11 Sep 2011 , 10:04pm
post #1 of 5

I have a request for a quote for a wedding cake and i'm a bit stumped... the cake will be 3 tiers with separators between the tiers filled with roses - the lady wants either fresh or gumpaste flowers, she's not sure which. So, i'm trying to calculate a quote but i don't know how many roses i would need to make??! Has anyone made a cake like this and can you advise? If i suggest she uses fresh flowers between the tiers would i buy them and arrange them on the cake or would a florist do this? How do they stay fresh on a cake, wouldn't they wilt quickly? Thanks xx

4 replies
Annabakescakes Posted 11 Sep 2011 , 10:11pm
post #2 of 5

I did a 2 tier with a 6" sq and a 10" sq with a 4" separation between filled to look like and 8" sq, and it took 3dz.

She bought and brought them to me, and I arranged them at the reception. I left them in water until I cut them, but I had one break off the stem and I gave it to my daughter. It was the day after the next, late, before it started to wilt.

HTH

southerncross Posted 11 Sep 2011 , 10:29pm
post #3 of 5

I made a three tiered (6", 9",, and 12") with gumpaste roses in between the tiers. I advised against real flowers on a cake only because of possible pesticide transfer but that may have been just an over abundance of caution. Because I made the roses, I knew that I needed 2 3/4 inches gap between the tiers. I made 40 roses but that was to allow for any breakage (I had none) and roses on top of the cake. I had roses left over. The pics are in my gallery

Annabakescakes Posted 11 Sep 2011 , 10:31pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes

I did a 2 tier with a 6" sq and a 10" sq with a 4" separation between filled to look like and 8" sq, and it took 3dz.

She bought and brought them to me, and I arranged them at the reception. I left them in water until I cut them, but I had one break off the stem and I gave it to my daughter. It was the day after the next, late, before it started to wilt.

HTH

BTW, the roses were practically buds, not hardly open at all.

cakecoachonline Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 9:32am
post #5 of 5

I never did fresh flowers onto a cake yet - I have always done flowerpaste flowers (is that UK for gumpaste??) However, if I were to do them I would ask the client exactly what their vision was - i.e. tumbling cascade or completely surrounding each tier or wired up the swan neck stand or in a simple but arranged design for just an arrangement for the top. There are a multitude of ways to add flowers either flowerpaste or fresh. If the design was more formal asking a florist to make a nice display (if you are not confident in flower arranging yourself) might be a good call. (Ask for flowers which have not been covered in any nastys) To boost my confidence I did an evening class in floresty which really helped in making mini wedding bouquets and learning how to wire them together using florestry wires and tape in the most artistic style. This knowledge served me well for both wedding and other floral covered celebration cakes. Good luck with the pricing though!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%