14 Inch Fountain - Pillar Question.

Decorating By tokazodo Updated 12 Sep 2011 , 11:54pm by maisyone2

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 11 Sep 2011 , 9:51pm
post #1 of 9

I've had a request for a wedding cake in October. The brides (mother!) is requesting a huge wedding cake. It is similar to the one attached here in the link, with 4 or 5 satellite cakes. The main mother ship cake is raised on 14 inch pillars over a fountain. Has anyone ever done this cake before? The idea of raising a 3 tier on 14 inch pillars over a fountain is making me a bit anxious.
Can it be done? Is it worth the effort? Should I worry about someone bumping the table?
I've worked with separators and plates before. It seems to becoming old school. The fountain was discontinued by the bride and her mother found on on Amazon.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Oops! icon_redface.gif forgot the link!
http://www.wilton.com/idea/Cascade

8 replies
millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 11 Sep 2011 , 10:08pm
post #2 of 9

Yes it can. If you get the Wilton kit that goes over the fountain, it is surprisingly quite sturdy. I did one (in my pics) last January. It was in the middle of the room, so I was quite nervous about people being that close to it, but everything was fine.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 11 Sep 2011 , 10:42pm
post #3 of 9

Fountains are starting to make a come back! Try this:

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/tiered-cakes/fountain-tiered-cake.cfm

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 2:29am
post #4 of 9

takazodo,

Thanks for your nice comments!

I should also mention that there is an issue with the Wilton fountain, especially if you are using a used fountain. If you run into problems with the actual fountain, pm me. The solution is a little lengthy to describe, but is very simple. I should just post it in the forums, but haven't really written it down yet.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 2:56am
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen421

The pillars shown in steps 2 & 3 are upside down!

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 3:17am
post #6 of 9

I've done several cakes with fountains. The inexpensive fountains tend to spray a lot of water. They run about $30.00. That was the down side to less expensive ones. Most of the pillars I've used held up quite well. I always ask the Bride and Groom if their cake cake be place off to the side and not directly in the middle of the reception to prevent running kids or people from bumping into the cake. Basically, I love wedding cakes with fountains with the color water and flowers, so romantic icon_lol.gif ( I'm from the old school of wedding cakes)

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 10:13pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen421

The pillars shown in steps 2 & 3 are upside down!

LOL You would think someone at Wilton would have caught that! icon_biggrin.gif

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 11:16pm
post #8 of 9

Well Thanks everyone for the input. Good catch, CWR41! You've got better eyes then I do! I'll be sure I get them rightside up when I do the cake! icon_wink.gif

maisyone2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maisyone2 Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 11:54pm
post #9 of 9

In the 80's & 90's almost every wedding cake I created used a fountain. I maintained 2 of my own and when I needed a third I rented it from the local cake decorating supply store. At present I generally get a request for a wedding cake with a fountain about once a year.

Keep in mind that if you are using 14" pillars, you really can't see the top most piece of the fountain. I generally only use the top most part of the fountain when using the 16" pillars or when the fountain is not directly under a cake.

And don't worry...as the others have said...it's a pretty sturdy set up.

Will look forward to seeing a picture of the finished product!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%