Thomas The Train Cake

Decorating By SimplySweetBaking Updated 13 Sep 2011 , 2:35am by jules5000

SimplySweetBaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SimplySweetBaking Posted 11 Sep 2011 , 8:43pm
post #1 of 7

Hi Everyone

I hope I can get some ideas from all the experts here. : )

I need to make a Thomas the Train Cake. Any ideas on the type of cake I should make it with when the little one likes chocolate? I figured I should use a pound cake type cake, would that be correct?

Thanks in advance for any feedback. I appreciate it.

6 replies
lilcakebaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilcakebaker Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 12:28am
post #2 of 7

Pound cake would be the easiest cake to use, However you can use chocolate but I would get it a little frozen before I started to carve it.

SimplySweetBaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SimplySweetBaking Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 12:41am
post #3 of 7

Is there such a thing as chocolate pound cake?

Thanks

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 12:45am
post #4 of 7

Thomas is one complicated train with so many colors n shapes! I had a Thomas request for a niece turning 3 so I made the 3/track big and little Thomas (in my gallery). Because it was smaller I used a twinkie on top of rkt/fondant and built it from there. Some people have posted some beautiful and super detailed ones if u search for Thomas the Train. Good luck!

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 1:27am
post #5 of 7

Yes, there is such a thing as chocolate pound cake. I was thinking of one that I have often wanted to make and have not had the chance yet and I went blank on which cookbook it was in, but I found another. It is called Mexican Chocolate pound cake. I only see one ingredient in it that would make it mexican chocolate and that is 1 t. of cinnamon. You would not have to put that in and I am quite sure that it would be quite yummy without it.
Mexican Chocolate Pound Cake.
Southern Living 2010 Annual recipes

1-8oz. Pkg. Semi-sweet cho. Bkg. Squares, chopped*
1 C. Butter, softened
1 ½ C. Granulated Sugar
4 lg. Eggs
½ C. Chocolate Syrup
2t. Vanilla extract
2 ½ C. Flour
1t. Cinnamon, ground
¼ t. Baking Soda
1/8t. Salt
1 C. Buttermilk
Powdered Sugar, optional
Mexican Chocolate sauce
Garnish: toasted sliced almonds

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Microwave Chocolate squares in a microwave safe bowl at High 1 min. and 15 seconds until cho. Is melted and smooth; stirring at 15 second intervals.

Beat Butter at medium speed with a heavy duty electric stand mixer 2 min. or until creamy. Gradually add granulated sugar and beat 5-7 min. or until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating just until yellow disappears after each addition. Stir in Melted Chocolate, chocolate syrup and vanilla until smooth.

Combine Flour and next 3 ingredients. Add to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition. Pour batter into a greased and floured 10(14-cup) tube pan.

Bake at 325 for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a long wooden pick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack 10-15 minutes; remove from pan to wire rack and let cool completely about an hour and a half.

*2 (4,4-oz.)pkgs Mexican Chocolate, chopped, may be substituted. Omit Ground cinnamon.

Note: we tested with Nestle Abuelita Marqueta Mexican Chocolate.

I am sure that you will have to figure out difference incooking time with different pans, but I am sure that that would not be hard. Best wishes

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 2:48pm
post #6 of 7

Jules5000 - thanks for sharing that recipe! I plan to try this myself this weekend. I'm going to swap out the cinnamon with instant espresso. Other recipes that have a super chocolately taste often use espresso to amp up the flavor. This will probably be a good base for the Mini Cooper car I am planning to make soon!

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 2:35am
post #7 of 7

Expresso would be a good subsitute, yes, and you are welcome. Best wishes on your cake and please share with us the results.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%