Dummy Cake

Decorating By momdalejr Updated 11 Sep 2011 , 10:08pm by dsilvest

momdalejr Posted 11 Sep 2011 , 8:12pm
post #1 of 7

I just purchased 4 dummy cakes to decorate for and upcoming cake show... How far in advance can I decorate the cake and the #1 question is what kind of icing do I cover the cake with??????????? Thank you

6 replies
heartsnsync Posted 11 Sep 2011 , 8:55pm
post #2 of 7

You can decorate the dummy cakes weeks in advance (would not do much longer than that as you would not want to take a chance that it would get dusty). Just make sure to keep it out of sunlight. Covering dummy cakes with fondant is pretty easy. I just massage shortening onto the dummy to soften the edges and to make them smooth to the touch and it gives the fondant something to adhere to.

CWR41 Posted 11 Sep 2011 , 9:05pm
post #3 of 7

To prevent certain colors from fading, keep it away from fluorescent lighting.

You can cover dummies with buttercream, fondant, or (if you want it to last forever) you can use royal icing or artificial icing such as Perma Ice or spackle (from the hardware store).

Karen421 Posted 11 Sep 2011 , 9:23pm
post #4 of 7

You can cover a dummy in just about anything. Fondant should last the longest. icon_biggrin.gif

Karen421 Posted 11 Sep 2011 , 9:23pm
post #5 of 7

icon_biggrin.gif

dsilvest Posted 11 Sep 2011 , 9:59pm
post #6 of 7

Covered dummies will last for years. Just cover lightly with a plastic bag to keep keep the dust off. Store in a cool, dry place.

dsilvest Posted 11 Sep 2011 , 10:08pm
post #7 of 7

Covered dummies will last for years. Just cover lightly with a plastic bag to keep keep the dust off. Store in a cool, dry place.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%