Winter Twigs

Decorating By tracieduran Updated 5 Oct 2011 , 2:06pm by Rylan

tracieduran Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracieduran Posted 11 Sep 2011 , 5:57pm
post #1 of 13

I am entering a cake of my own design into a competition and need to make some twigs. The competition rules state that the entire thing has to be edible. Does anyone have any ideas as to how i can achieve this. I want to cover them in snow and ice.
Thanks for reading
Tracie

12 replies
grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 11 Sep 2011 , 6:29pm
post #2 of 13

Could you use some white candy melts and pipe the shapes you want on wax or parchment paper ?

Justbeck101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justbeck101 Posted 11 Sep 2011 , 6:31pm
post #3 of 13

Are you sure you can't use wire? You may be able to because you would be able to use supports for the cake...

joycesdaughter111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joycesdaughter111 Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 12:06am
post #4 of 13

....what about those super thin pretzel stix coated in white candy melts and then sprinkled with white sanding sugar? Or your could make them out of thinly rolled pieces of gumpaste and then coat them in candy melts for strength, maybe?

Just a thought because I want to do a branch cake for christmas. Hope that helps.

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 12:24am
post #5 of 13

Make them out of pastillage, when dry colour some icing the shade of brown you want and paint the icing on the twigs. You can also use the icing to glue twigs together or glue them on the tree.
After the rowal has dried dust with brown petal dust, that will make the grooves in the bark stand out more. Take some royal and the dust with you to the competition, just in case a twig snaps off, easy to fix

By using a stiff paintbrush to paint on the icing, you automatically create the bark

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 12:28am
post #6 of 13

How about the Chinese noodles? They kinda of look like twigs, and you can "glue" some together with chocolate. icon_smile.gif

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 12:37am
post #7 of 13

I would think that the noodles are a lot more fragile and prone to breaking
I transported my winter tree from Shanghai to Birmingham and only needed to repair the tree when it got to Hamburg the week afterwards

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 9:55pm
post #8 of 13

I made twig molds out of mold putty I bought at Hobby Lobby. Yes, it's food safe. Then poured chocolate in them. They looked wonderful! Kind of tricky to get them out, though. They break easily when you try to remove them from the molds. So make extra molds so you can set up a production line. It's worth it, IMHO.

JustGettinStarted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustGettinStarted Posted 3 Oct 2011 , 11:37pm
post #9 of 13

I have no tips, but I'm so excited to see this cake! I love wintery cakes icon_smile.gif

BakedAlaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakedAlaska Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 12:13am
post #10 of 13

Modelling chocolate. Sturdy and easy to mold by hand to the unique shape of each twig....

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 4:14am
post #11 of 13

If it's okay that they're flat on one side, the Wilton mold is nice.

rozben Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rozben Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 5:50am
post #12 of 13

found this a few years ago now.. I can't honestly remember where from though, I just saved it with her name - OP - Marysol - and the date of 2006,

Chocolate Spaghetti Twigs and Branches

4½ cups water
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 ounces spaghetti

Line 2 baking sheets with aluminum foil and coat lightly with vegetable cooking spray. In a small saucepan, whisk 1½ cups of the water together with the cocoa until blended. Cook over medium heat until the cocoa dissolves. Remove from heat and pour into a 10" pie plate
In a medium saucepan, boil the remaining 3 cups water. Add the spaghetti and bring to a second boil. Cook for 3-4 minutes, just to soften the strands. Drain the pasta thoroughly.
Lay the spaghetti in the cocoa water, submerging the strands; allow to steep, stirring occasionally, until the strands turn a dark brown, about 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 200ºF. Drain the spaghetti in a colander. Arrange the strands between the 2 baking sheets, making sure they do not touch. Dry strands in the oven for 1 hour. Remove and release from foil. Put them back in the oven. Turn off the oven and let the spaghetti dry for 20 minutes. Let cool, then store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to one year. If the strands appear dull, spray them lightly with cooking spray just before using.

HTH

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 2:06pm
post #13 of 13

If it was me, I'd make them out of pastillage, modeling chocolate or gumpaste with tons of extra tylose. From there, I would maybe paint over it with chocolate. If I am using modeling chocolate, I'd carve and play with it from there.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%