How To Do A Tree Trunk

Decorating By MissCakeCrazy Updated 12 Sep 2011 , 12:30pm by MissCakeCrazy

MissCakeCrazy Posted 11 Sep 2011 , 10:42am
post #1 of 3

I have seen some cakes with winne the pooh sitting on top of a tree trunk like the cake below

Can someone please tell me how to make it and to create that effect? Also I was thinking of making it with a few cupcakes stuck together with icing. Is this possible?

2 replies
kakeladi Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 12:03am
post #2 of 3

the smaller the diamater, the taller the stump will look. That pic looks to me to be a 9" or 10" round, 3" tall at most.
If you make an 8" or even 6" that is 2" tall it will look taller.
Put the cake on a much larger board (a 12"?); cover the cake on the top w/a slightly lighter color chocolate icing = piping circles of icing w/tip 18, then very lightly smooth it a bit.
Using a darker b'cream icing, pipe lines of icing up from the bottom to the top using tip 18. The roots can be either pipe of b'cream or fat snakes of fondant in the same color.
It's possible to do the whole cake in fondant if you prefer icon_smile.gif
Color the fondant the light brown/chocolate; set eough aside for the top of the cake; darken the rest; take a walnut sized lump and twist it into the lighter color to give a bit of marbled coloring to the top before rolling it out. For the sides of the cake roll out a strip that is as tall as the cake (2"?) and take a fork the scratch it to give the appearance of bark; wrap around the cake. Make snakes to be used as the roots; don't forget to scratch them too icon_smile.gif

MissCakeCrazy Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 12:30pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks alot for your instruction. I was thinking of actually doing a 7" or a 5" diameter tree (top tier) with a 10" cake at the bottom. I will be doing all fondant. How do you 'blend' the rolled up bits to the bark to look like roots without it looking obvious that they are seperate bits of fondant? Also, can you do the fork effect AFTER putting on the cake or do you have to do that beforehand?

I don't have a 7" or a 5" tin. Can I make this up of cupcakes and stick together? How can I make them round?

Quote by @%username% on %date%