Satin Ice Fondant, Chemical Smell?

Decorating By eringm Updated 12 Sep 2011 , 2:54pm by Cupcations

eringm Posted 11 Sep 2011 , 3:43am
post #1 of 9

I just bought some Satin Ice Fondant for the first time. I usually make MMF but wanted to use premade fondant for my sister's wedding cake. I heard a lot of good things about Satin Ice so I bought a small batch of the vanilla Ivory fondant to test it out first. It has a weird chemical smell and taste. Is this normal? Will it go away after I put it on the cake?
Thank you,

8 replies
auzzi Posted 11 Sep 2011 , 10:09am
post #2 of 9

It has a weird chemical smell and taste

Return it to the store and get them to check it out.

Commercial Rolled Fondant does not taste exactly like homemade Rolled Fondant: and neither tastes like marshmallow fondant ..

leah_s Posted 11 Sep 2011 , 11:20am
post #3 of 9

It's probsably fine, but do let the store take a look (and smell). The SatinIce Buttercream Flavor is the best thing they make.

Occther Posted 11 Sep 2011 , 12:16pm
post #4 of 9

I think Satin Ice smells like Play Dough. Personally, I don't like that smell so I only use it when I need certain colors. Haven't tried their buttercream flavor.

eringm Posted 11 Sep 2011 , 5:33pm
post #5 of 9

I ordered it from GSA, so I would have to send it back (don't know if I can do that). I have a very powerful sense of smell so I am not sure if it is just me. I had other people smell it and they say it is fine. Leah_s you say the buttercream flavor is good, maybe I will order that and just color it ivory. Thanks everyone icon_smile.gif

CakesByCharlene Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 2:46am
post #6 of 9

i couldnt stand the smell of it when i first started using it, now im used to it. it doesnt taste too good on its own but on a cake it tastes fine.

olleharr Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 2:56am
post #7 of 9

I like the smell and taste of their vanilla fondant. Doesn't smell like chemicals to me. Everyone I serve it to seems to like it. I've had no complaints. Maybe you got a bad batch or something.

Cakewishes Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 2:30pm
post #8 of 9

I have found the same thing with the Satin Ice when you first open the bucket, but I have found that it tastes just fine.

Cupcations Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 2:54pm
post #9 of 9

I agree with the smell but at the end it tastes good... Have you ever smelled Wilton's fondant icon_confused.gif now that's chemicals!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%