Just Getting Started.

Business By brendaculpepper Updated 12 Sep 2011 , 12:00pm by cakecoachonline

brendaculpepper Posted 11 Sep 2011 , 3:38am
post #1 of 3

I am new to cake decorating and really learning a lot of little tricks of the trade as I go. This site has been very helpful and it is addictive. Can anyone tell me how to go about getting the word out or the best way to go about promoting such a small endeavor. I'm sure word of mouth is the best way but where to start? I have even been told I need to charge more but I am trying to keep the price reasonable to get them out there. I have even given several away and although they rant and rave about how nice they are, I am not getting the orders I expected. I would appreciate any advice or suggestions you might have.

2 replies
CakesByRashmi Posted 11 Sep 2011 , 5:13am
post #2 of 3

I am in the same boat regards pricing, reviews and orders. I am getting my website ready and getting my Facebook page started. Since Christmas is round the corner I have decided to personally approach some corporate offices around. I am going to make really small pieces of cakes for tasting and leave a brochure which will have pictures of my cakes and my details. Also, deciding to offer some discount on corporate orders.
Thats for starters. Also, i'm distributing some brochures around the houses nearby so I can get some attention and get local business too.

cakecoachonline Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 12:00pm
post #3 of 3

A lot of where to start - depends on which type of cake you are selling. Are you making 3 tier wedding cakes, or cup cakes or novelty cakes for children? If you know exactly what your offering is - it is far easier to go find your target market. Start by establishing exactly what your niche within your cake business is - and than brainstorm where are your customers. Are they at bridal fairs, in high rise office blocks eating lunches, or at schools picking up small children - who are having parties. Get this established first - and then the issue of how to get the word out becomes a far simpler task. Hope that helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%