Storing The Cake...buttercream And Fondant

Decorating By Susanca78 Updated 11 Sep 2011 , 11:40am by cakestyles

Susanca78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susanca78 Posted 11 Sep 2011 , 2:53am
post #1 of 6

I just made a cake with buttercream icing and fondant decorations. Just wondering what the normal procedure is for storing this sort of cake? I know it shouldn't be left in a warm area because of the buttercream...but not in the fridge because of the fondant?[/img]

5 replies
cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 11 Sep 2011 , 3:06am
post #2 of 6

Fondant can be refrigerated. Just box the cake and refrigerate.

cakestyles Posted 11 Sep 2011 , 3:07am
post #3 of 6

I thought I'd add that as long as your butter cream and filling is shelf stable and doesn't need refrigeration the cake can be left boxed at room temperature. Assuming it's not too hot in your house.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 Sep 2011 , 3:10am
post #4 of 6

I store all cakes on the counter.

Susanca78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susanca78 Posted 11 Sep 2011 , 4:37am
post #5 of 6

I used the Wilton recipe...1/2 butter, 1/2 shortening, 4cups icing sugar, vanilla.

I already have the cake delivered...seemed ok at that time, but one little part of the edging came off...probably during the transit. I told her to store it in a cool area. I was afraid if it was placed in the fridge the fondant would sweat causing the drawn on whiskers to bleed...but also afraid that if it was left out the icing would soften too much!

Any recommendations on what recipe should I use in the future for BC that is more stable?

cakestyles Posted 11 Sep 2011 , 11:40am
post #6 of 6

If it's hot and humid where you live I recommend hi-ratio shortening if you're not already using it.

Store bought shortening isn't what it used to be since they've altered the recipe.

With hi-ratio shortening your icing will be able to tolerate more humid conditions. It's ability to absorb more liquid than regular shortening, produces a nicely structured icing.

I use an all butter bc, but if it's very humid here I substitute a couple of cups of hi-ratio and it works like a charm.

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%