Imbc Help Please

Decorating By dcarylmk Updated 11 Sep 2011 , 11:29am by dcarylmk

dcarylmk Posted 11 Sep 2011 , 12:17am
post #1 of 3

Tonight I tried to make IMBC. I cooked the sugar and water to 240' as instructed. As I was pouring the sugar mixture into the beaten egg whites the sugar began to crystalize! icon_eek.gif Now there are tiny little bits of crystalized sugar in the icing!

I checked out a few recipes for IMBC and each one is different as to what temp the sugar and water should be heated to. Some say 140', some 220' and then the 240'. What is the best temp to boil the sugar and water to?

2 replies
imagenthatnj Posted 11 Sep 2011 , 12:41am
post #2 of 3

I heat it up to 248F.

When you were pouring the sugar mixture you might have hit the beaters or the side of your bowl. You have to be very careful with that. I used to hit the sides at the beginning so i got myself a small pan with a pouring side, and heavy, but not too big that I couldn't lift it easily high over the mixer.

dcarylmk Posted 11 Sep 2011 , 11:29am
post #3 of 3

Thank you so much for your advice and the tutorials. I think where I went wrong may have been when the sugar/water was ready I transferred it from the pan (without a pour lip) to a glass measuring cup to help me pour it in the mixing bowl without a mess. I think that allowed the mixture to cool and crystalize. So guess I get to go shopping today for a new pan! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%