600 Minis!

Baking By SnLSweetEscapes Updated 11 Sep 2011 , 3:12am by vgray

SnLSweetEscapes Posted 10 Sep 2011 , 11:10pm
post #1 of 6

Yeah! I just got an order from a "Cupcake Tasting" that I did a couple of weeks ago for a wedding in July 2012. They decided to go with me! I am so happy! Now I just gotta figure out what type of display will fit 600 minis, haha!

5 replies
LindaF144a Posted 10 Sep 2011 , 11:25pm
post #2 of 6

Where in western NY are you located? it does not say on your website.

Also in NY state baked goods are not taxed. If you cut and serve it, it is taxed. But not just baked. Your accountant could help you. Also you can call the NY state department of taxation. You could also go to your local grocer and buy a baked good. You will see they charge no tax.

Congratulations on your order. I too am making 1,000 next week. We are going to be part of the Festival of Food here in Rochester.

SnLSweetEscapes Posted 10 Sep 2011 , 11:41pm
post #3 of 6

Do you have your own business in Rochester? I work in Greece full time and do the baking as a side job, which sometimes is more than that, haha!

LindaF144a Posted 11 Sep 2011 , 12:15am
post #4 of 6

Yes I do. I own From Scratch Cakery in Perinton. If you are a home certified kitchen in Monroe County, thn you have your own commercial kitchen separate from your home kitchen, correct? There is a huge difference between being an in-home certified kitchen and a separate kitchen. For example the home certified kitchen that you would be able to use your own home kitchen is certified through the department of agriculture. Also you are not allowed to advertise or sell at all directly to the general public including Facebook and websites. You are limited to wholesale orders and farmer's markets only.

This applies to Monroe County. It may vary in the county you live in, you say you work in Greece, but not live in Greece. But my experience has been that bit is pretty much the same in all counties across this area of NY.

If you have a separate commercial kitchen with a separate entrance, the you are certified through the department of health. Your wording of being a NYS in-home bakery does not indicate whether you have the separate kitchen to be through the department of health. I don't get that impression from your website, but that is just me. However you will need to double check those restrictions for the type of in-home kitchen you have.

Because you charge sales tax on a product that should not be charged, you are deceiving your customer, quite frankly. You should do more homework before you venture further, as a word of advice. Otherwise you could be only hurting your business rather than helping it.

SnLSweetEscapes Posted 11 Sep 2011 , 2:43am
post #5 of 6

Thank You for your help!

vgray Posted 11 Sep 2011 , 3:12am
post #6 of 6

Sawlil, Congrats on your huge order! check out: http://crystalpalacecupcaketree.com/ Maybe you can get an idea from them for your stand!

Quote by @%username% on %date%