Searching For A Moist Cake Recipe For Decorating

Baking By Nessalea Updated 11 Sep 2011 , 8:15pm by kakeladi

Nessalea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nessalea Posted 10 Sep 2011 , 5:00pm
post #1 of 4

Hello all!

I am looking, much like the title said, for a new recipe. The one that I had been using for sponge cake required wayy too many ingredients, and in the end, it wasn't a very moist cake. I would like one that is moist, maybe even a tiny bit fudgey texture, but still sturdy enough for decorating.

On that same note, if anyone knows a good butter cream icing recipe, stable enough for decorating, I would much appreciate that too. I had been using the Wilton tubs of white decorating frosting, but honestly it is just getting too expensive. I'm looking at $15 bucks a tub, and I usually use about 2 per 1/2 sheet after decorations and all. I live in a small rural area, and even the wal mart stopped selling those products out here, so I would also have to drive at least an hour to the next town to even buy the stuff. So any information is much appreciated!!

3 replies
JamAndButtercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JamAndButtercream Posted 10 Sep 2011 , 6:11pm
post #2 of 4

Hi,
I don't know if you are familar with uk sponge cakes, not sure what sponge recipe you used with tons of ingredients, but these are uk recipes for sponges and buttercream, although their are probably better cakes for carving etc,

Sponge,
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/victoriasponge_13555

Buttercream,
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/basicbuttericing_73263

The uk verison of buttercream is great for icing cakes, because it is basically butter and icing sugar, so after its been in the fridge, it sets really solid.

Hope this helps. icon_smile.gif

Nessalea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nessalea Posted 11 Sep 2011 , 7:42pm
post #3 of 4

Wow that is definetly alot less ingrediants than I was using. I will try the cake recipe tonight! Here is what I had been using.

Sponge Cake Ingredients
Zest from 1/2 lemon
1 cup sugar
1 cup unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
4 large eggs
2 tablespoons warm water
1/2 teaspoon real vanilla
2 teaspoons lemon juice
2 cups cake flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

Easy Sponge Cake Recipe
Put the sugar and lemon zest in a blender or food processor. Blend until the lemon zest is fine. Add this mixture to the softened butter. Beat with a mixer on medium until fluffy. This should take about 5 minutes.
Add the eggs to the sugar and butter one at a time, beating well after adding each one. Add the water, lemon juice, and vanilla. In a different bowl, use a whisk to mix the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add half of the flour mixture to the rest of the ingredients. Mix on low. Then add the rest of the flour mixture.
Now beat at medium speed until the cake batter becomes shiny. The mixture should also turn a white color. Do not skip this step or reduce the mixing time. The longer you mix the batter, the more air bubbles you create. This is what makes sponge cake recipes light and fluffy. This step of the sponge cake recipe should take about 15 minutes.
Pour sponge cake batter into two round cake pans that have been greased with shortening well and liberally floured. If they haven't been greased and floured thoroughly, your sponge cake recipe will stick to the cake pans.
Bake lemon sponge cake in a preheated 350 degrees Fahrenheit oven for approximately 25-30 minutes.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 11 Sep 2011 , 8:15pm
post #4 of 4

You can't get more moist than my *Original* WASC recipe icon_smile.gif http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7445/the-original-wasc-cake-recipe

As for b'cream - Oh MY! There are soooooo many wonderful recipes on here that are w-a-y! better than what you have been using!
Here's mine:

2 of everything b'cream

2 cups shortening (Crisco)
2 Cups butter (real butter)
2 pounds powdered sugar
2 Tablespoons flavoring
2 pinches of salt

This makes a NON-crusting b'cream. If you want it to crust reduce either the butter OR the Crisco by 1 Cup - keeping the other ingredients the same.

On low speed, cream the shortening, salt and butter together well - up to 10 minutes. Slowly add about 1/3rd of the sugar and cream well; repeat; then add the last along w/the flavoring. Beat on med about 3 minutes, then return to low speed and cream about 7-10 minutes.

Flavoring can be *any* combination you like. One good choice is 1/4 cup vanilla; 2 Tablespoons butter; and 1 Tablespoon almond; mix/shake together well.
Some people don't like the almond flavoring - sooooo replace it with lemon OR whatever you do likeicon_smile.gif
Flavoring is very personal. It's whatever you (OR your customers) like.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%