Attaching Ribbon On A Fondant Cake

Decorating By sprout73 Updated 15 Sep 2011 , 12:13pm by sprout73

sprout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sprout73 Posted 10 Sep 2011 , 3:52am
post #1 of 11

I'm wondering how to do this? I've seen it being dipped in water and then just smoothed on, pinned on and glued on. What is best?

10 replies
NanaSandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaSandy Posted 10 Sep 2011 , 4:11am
post #2 of 11

Lay it out and place it on the cake, take a brush with a little bit of water, and attach to the cake. Fondant sticks to fondant anyway, the water just assures that it won't peel off. Very easy!
Happy Decorating!

bakingkat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingkat Posted 10 Sep 2011 , 4:20am
post #3 of 11

Are you talking real ribbon or fondant ribbon? I think the previous post is assuming it's fondant ribbon. If it's real ribbon I always spray it with pan spray so you do get any discoloration fromt he cake, and the moisture helps it to stick to the fondant. I normally stic a pic in the back to be safe, but find it's not totally neccesary. Good Luck!

sprout73 Posted 10 Sep 2011 , 12:01pm
post #4 of 11

Thank you so much for the replies!

Yes, I am talking about real ribbon, not fondant. By pan spray do you mean something like Pam? Does that discolour the ribbon at all?

Thanks again!

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 10 Sep 2011 , 12:23pm
post #5 of 11

I would use the pan spray on my ribbon only if using it on a BC covered cake. It basically discolors your ribbon on purpose so when it is placed on a BC cake, the grease absorbing into the ribbon doesn't show. You shouldn't have this problem with a fondant covered cake, though.

sprout73 Posted 10 Sep 2011 , 12:27pm
post #6 of 11

Thank you!

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 10 Sep 2011 , 10:39pm
post #7 of 11

I wrap the ribbon around the cake and use a bit of non-toxic glue (the stick kind) just on the overlap to glue the ends together. The glue doesn't touch the cake, just the ribbon ends.

sprout73 Posted 10 Sep 2011 , 11:01pm
post #8 of 11

I ended up using a bit of masking tape to try to secure the ribbon to the board. I use the word try because nothing seems to want to stick to that darn cake board. Then once I wrapped it around I used more masking tape between the two ends of ribbon and popped a pin in at the top (into the bottom of the cake).

I guess I need a hot glue gun to get it to stick to the board? The ribbon was too thin to cover the board and the cake.

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 10 Sep 2011 , 11:09pm
post #9 of 11

I use the hot glue gun for the board, and royal icing for the cake. Use an angled spatula and make a thin thin bit of royal around the cake and stick the ribbon on to it.

NanaSandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaSandy Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 4:15am
post #10 of 11

I found the easiest way to stick the ribbon to the board, is with the roll on glue tabs that you use for scrap booking. It comes so that all you do is roll it on. Great tool....sticks great and sooo easy!

sprout73 Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 12:13pm
post #11 of 11

Thanks for the info, Sandy. I have scrapbooking glue dots that I was desperately trying to locate to stick it on with - so I was hot on the trail of a great idea I guess!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%