Help Needed, Please! :)

Decorating By cakesbycee Updated 10 Sep 2011 , 2:42am by cakesbycee

cakesbycee Posted 10 Sep 2011 , 1:37am
post #1 of 8

I apologize in advance for confusing anyone with my question, but I don't know exactly how to word it....
I'd like to find out how you fill in designs on a cake using buttercream. I have attempted to attach a photo for better clarification, but because this is my first time using the Forum section on this website, I'm not 100% sure it will work.

In this picture, there is a picture of a large puppy dog, and the baker was able to fill in the body of the puppy and made the icing look very is this accomplished? Using what tip? I practiced before on filling in an outline of an object using a tip 5, but it just looked like I zig-zagged (if that makes sense). I'm assuming I thin out the buttercream so the ridges and lines don't appear from the tip I use?! If anyone can decipher my rambling..please help. I have a baby shower cake to make next wknd and I'm very very excited about my ideas. Just don't know how to properly execute them. Thank you so much in advance for any replies. icon_smile.gif

7 replies
Periperi Posted 10 Sep 2011 , 1:54am
post #2 of 8

I personally use the frozen buttercream transfer method. Google it and you can watch some tutorials on how it's done. Super easy, very clean look, hope that helps you. =)

CocoaBlondie Posted 10 Sep 2011 , 1:57am
post #3 of 8

By not knowing what your looking at it's hard to say. I think you are describing a FBCT. If you go to articles I believe there is a how to section in there. I'll try to find it for you.

CreativeCakesbyMichelle Posted 10 Sep 2011 , 1:57am
post #4 of 8

Your picture didn't upload but it sounds like what you're describing is a frozen buttercream transfer. I agree with the previous poster, there's lots of info available on the method if you google it and they are really easy to do.

cakesbycee Posted 10 Sep 2011 , 2:23am
post #6 of 8

Thank you very much! icon_smile.gif Just watched about 4 different videos..had no idea that was a technique some used. Clearly, I'm new at cakes. I'm noticing that a lot of the transfers look there anyway to make them thinner? Will it still work the same? And silly question...but, the transfers end up thawing once on a cake, correct? It becomes like normal buttercream and not hard, right?

CocoaBlondie Posted 10 Sep 2011 , 2:30am
post #7 of 8

correct on the all the bc questions. The reason they keep them thick is so when transferring it doesn't break. To get a thin look you may want to start experiencing with fondant using templates an a exacto knife.

cakesbycee Posted 10 Sep 2011 , 2:42am
post #8 of 8

Thank you to everyone for their replies! icon_smile.gif Wish me luck. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%