Stacking Buttercream Layers

Decorating By WeezyS Updated 11 Sep 2011 , 12:01am by indydebi

WeezyS Posted 10 Sep 2011 , 12:47am
post #1 of 13

What is the best way to move a frosted buttercream cake and place it on top of the bottom tier without messing up the frosting?

This seems to be a real problem I have and I am doing a stacked cake tomorrow.

Thanks for any advice.

12 replies
cakestyles Posted 10 Sep 2011 , 12:59am
post #2 of 13

You could chill the cake tiers until the bc firms up a bit, that helps.

LogansMommie Posted 10 Sep 2011 , 1:00am
post #3 of 13

I don't know if you refrigerate your cakes, but I always do (fondant or not) and if I'm adding a tier onto another and it's buttercream, I have to make sure the buttercream is really firm before I attempt to transfer. I then also use a viva towel just to do some final touch ups and always have a border! Good luck!

Crazboutcakes Posted 10 Sep 2011 , 1:04am
post #4 of 13

Sorry to hear your having problems with stacking but usually wach layer is iced in dividually and put in frig until ready to stack, this keeps it cold and helps alot. here is a you tube video to kinda help out and there is many more if you need to do some searching for what will help you best. Good Luck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-_PauOVx74&feature=fvsr

Darstus Posted 10 Sep 2011 , 1:09am
post #5 of 13

I have had problems when I need to stack my tiers at the reception site. They can't be chilled then. I wish I had a simple solution. I do my best and fix any messes!

Crazboutcakes Posted 10 Sep 2011 , 1:13am
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darstus

I have had problems when I need to stack my tiers at the reception site. They can't be chilled then. I wish I had a simple solution. I do my best and fix any messes!

How many teirs are we talking about? You should be able to stack and transport 3 teirs and if you have 4 than do 2 and 2 or 3 and 1, you should have something done before getting to the venue, yes? icon_confused.gif

MimiFix Posted 10 Sep 2011 , 2:23am
post #7 of 13

Sometimes I use long offset spatulas, one in each hand. I think about what I'm going to do and then I move fast.

CWR41 Posted 10 Sep 2011 , 2:38am
post #8 of 13

I wrote this in another thread, when someone asked "Where should my hands be when I'm stacking a cake?":

One hand on the spatula and one hand underneath the cake (on its own cake circle) supporting the weight.

If you're using SPS, you can lower one side of the tier onto the plate, remove your hand, slide the tier into place across the plate with your spatula, lower the cake the rest of the way, and remove your spatula.

If you aren't using SPS, it helps with positioning if you're placing your tier onto another cake circle (just as you would with a single plate separator). So rather than trying to lower it on top of a buttercream surface (while denting the lower cake, trying to get your hand and spatula out without making a mess, and possibly disturbing the dowels), you're lowering it onto a corrugated cake circle instead that's already stuck in place on the surface of the lower tier. Doubling up on circles is easier than risking damage and causing internal support issues, and you'll still be able to hammer a center dowel through all tiers without a problem.

Here's the entire thread:
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-710889-spatula.html

WeezyS Posted 10 Sep 2011 , 3:12pm
post #9 of 13

This is probally a dumb question. The two cardboard circles sound great. But my question is, you would cover them with plastic wrap, right?
When you put them together, would they slide, or would the icing hold them together?

CWR41 Posted 10 Sep 2011 , 6:11pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeezyS

you would cover them with plastic wrap, right?

No... not necessary, cake circles are made for this purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeezyS

When you put them together, would they slide, or would the icing hold them together?

A dab of icing holds them together. (A center dowel does too.)

WeezyS Posted 10 Sep 2011 , 7:08pm
post #11 of 13

Thank You! icon_biggrin.gif
I'm on the way, the top tier is in the frig and the bottom tier is ready.
I'll let you know how I do.

Thanks to everyone for all the help.

Cargal Posted 10 Sep 2011 , 7:26pm
post #12 of 13

I like the double circle idea. I've always had problems centering the tiers. Thanks!

indydebi Posted 11 Sep 2011 , 12:01am
post #13 of 13

Here's my version of step-by-step pics that might give you some ideas:

http://cateritsimple.blogspot.com/2011/01/how-to-assemble-stacked-wedding-cake.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%