Big Batches Of Imbc

Decorating By 3GCakes Updated 19 Sep 2011 , 3:10am by rlowry03

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 6:53pm
post #1 of 5

I love IMBC, but it seems all the recipes are for small quantities. It would really save me a lot of time if I didn't have to make 3 or 4 batches for a 4 tier cake.

I have a 6qt KA and am experimenting with getting the BIGGEST batch of IMBC that I can at one time.

So far I think I can use the equivalent of 11 egg whites (I used cartoned ones) and about 10-11 sticks of butter.

Anyone else gone to the max with their IMBC recipe?

4 replies
mariacakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariacakestoo Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 7:12pm
post #2 of 5

Well, I can shove a batch of SMBC into my 6kt KA which uses the following amounts of ingredients:

22 eggs
12 sticks butter
4.5 ish cups sugar

Now, I do have to use the splash shield, and cover up the pour area with a damp paper towel, or it will start to creep out at the latest stage of mixing right before the butter goes in. So, it's almost too much, but it works!

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 7:51pm
post #3 of 5

I can get 3 batches of my SMBC in my 6q mixer, that's 3lbs butter, 1.2 lbs egg whites, 1.4lbs sugar.

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 10:09pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks for responding, ladies! I don't get notices like used to!

I know it can get sloppy but I KNEW I could eventually get more volume per batch. What puzzles me is that you seem to be using WAY more whites than I seem to be able to. I use one and a half cartons (12 egg-whites) (with the corresponding cream of tar-tar) and I was over-flowing my mixer. Even when I added the butter, the sheer volume didn't go down. I don't even get to stiff...I try to stay at soft!

This was only enough to ice a 10 ince and 8 inch.

I know there will be discrepencies with cartoned egg whites and regular eggs.....but do regular eggs not produce the same volume?

rlowry03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlowry03 Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 3:10am
post #5 of 5

I'm jealous because I can only do about 7 egg whites in my regular KA and it fills up with meringue! But when I add the butter and it sort of deflates it makes me wish I could do more at a time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%