New At This, And Need To Make A Cake For My Girlie, Help!

Decorating By kristafinn5 Updated 10 Sep 2011 , 12:29am by kristafinn5

kristafinn5 Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 4:04pm
post #1 of 8

I have done a bit of cake decorating, and I know I have the skill, but nothing as extreme as the cake she found online that she wants for her birthday. its not until oct 21st, but I figured I should get a head start on what i need and how to do it. Its a pic we got online, and I have it attached, not sure if that's if anyone could help me with the steps of what I should do, that would be awesome...the zebra print and quilting is my biggest challenge...Also, if anyone has any great cake recipes and icing, that would be great. ive never used or even tasted fondant a great recipe and icing would be a lot to ask but a great help...She's going to be 9,. so something a kid would eat. Thanks!!! icon_biggrin.gif

7 replies
JamAndButtercream Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 5:15pm
post #3 of 8

wow this is a challenge for you! So are you making it exactly like this cake? 4 tiers, If you've never done tiers before theres a video on how to put the cake together, and sturdy!

After you have prepared the cakes, its the stacking, and the deocrating.

Hope this helps! Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

kristafinn5 Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 5:28pm
post #4 of 8

Wow, you're awesome, thanks so much...If I have any questions, would it be ok to email you??? And what would be your list of tools to create this cake??

JamAndButtercream Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 5:51pm
post #5 of 8

You can PM me if you want, I come back and for to this website about 3 times a day! icon_smile.gif or if you don't hear a response from me, post a question in a forum, normally if you say in the post title "URGENT please help me with......." someone is quick to help!
Ok, so if I was making this cake I'd get,
White fondant, more than I'd need to make room for mistakes! icon_smile.gif
Precoloured pink fondant, because I hate messing around with colouring fondant!
Black fondant,
A palette knife would be good for the icing of the cake,
dowels for the supports when you stack the cake, plastic ones are better,
a big cake board for the whole cake,
smaller cake boards for each tier to sit on,
I'd use a piping bag for filling and decorating,
A side scraper to smooth the buttercream on the outside, like this,
A fondant smoother, to smooth out the fondant, like this,
rolling pin,
For the quilted look on the pink cakes, you would need a modelling tool, people use ones thats like on little wheels, like this, (its the embossing/cutter one)

Thats all I can think of at the moment, hope this helps! good luck! icon_smile.gif

JamAndButtercream Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 5:57pm
post #6 of 8

I just found a video, where Buddy Cake Boss shows you how to ice a cake in buttercream,

and another where he shows you how to do "old school piping" I know you're not piping anything, but its great to watch!

thecupcakebandit Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 6:07pm
post #7 of 8

Cute cake! I think that will be easier than you think.

Regarding the zebra print, I really enjoyed this video to create the striping out of fondant:

Good luck! Can't wait to see it. icon_smile.gif

kristafinn5 Posted 10 Sep 2011 , 12:29am
post #8 of 8

Thanks everyone, greatly appreciated...I will post pics when I get this done. Im sure Ill be back for help lol. I just signed up to this today and am very impressed with how helpful people are! Thanks again! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%