How Do You Price A Small Intricately Designed Cake?

Decorating By TheCakePrincess2 Updated 9 Sep 2011 , 4:49pm by jason_kraft

TheCakePrincess2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakePrincess2 Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 3:04pm
post #1 of 3

I was asked to make a cake for a 70th birthday party featuring all of the local sports teams. I decided to make a sports bag with sports balls around the base and an ice hockey skate. Then coming out of the sports bag I will make a football jersey, t-shirt, baseball cap and bat, tennis racquet and pennant with the logos of the various teams handpainted on each of them. I figure including baking time etc, I will spend about 30-40 hours on this cake, maybe less. How should I charge accordingly? Please help!!!!! icon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

2 replies
BizCoCos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BizCoCos Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 3:53pm
post #2 of 3

I made a cake in August, once I calculated time/labor, decors it would have been a $3,000.00 cake. I am not a professional thus, I would also like to hear from the experts. It was a gift, your cake sounds impressive, good luck

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 4:49pm
post #3 of 3

You price it the same way as any other cake...ingredients + labor + overhead + profit. Let's say the ingredients cost $100, overhead is $20, and you pay yourself $15/hour. Your cost for this cake (assuming 40 hours labor) would be $100 + $20 + ($15 * 40) = $720. If your profit margin is 25%, the price would be $900.

By the way you should make sure to obtain permission from the sports teams before you copy their logos onto the cake, otherwise you could get in trouble for copyright infringement.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%