Choccywoccydoodah

Lounge By JamAndButtercream Updated 15 Sep 2011 , 8:56am by Noobz

JamAndButtercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JamAndButtercream Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 12:50pm
post #1 of 18

Hi UK bakers!
I was just wondering, did anyone watch the good food channels, "Choccywoccydoodah" about the chocolate shop in Brighton?
I believe they are bringing out a second series soon! icon_smile.gif

What did you think of it? I wonder what their secret is! detective.gificon_lol.gif

17 replies
Valkstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Valkstar Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 12:54pm
post #2 of 18

I'm not in the UK but I know loads of people who watched it here.

I thought the cakes looked really cool, but noticed that the cake itself often looked burnt or very dry.

I'll still watch another series though icon_lol.gif

JamAndButtercream Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 12:59pm
post #3 of 18

Hi Valkstar,
Yeah I also noticed that!
I remember one episode where is was Dave's wedding (You know Dave the chief cake guy) and the other guy Tom was making his wedding cake, and all the outisde was burnt and he just put the filling in and covered it in chocolate icon_sad.gif

I think the decoration on the cakes and big chocolate sculptures are incredible though! icon_biggrin.gif

Did you see the halloween episode, where they made the skulls and big chocolate spell book and crow?? Amazing!

Valkstar Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 1:11pm
post #4 of 18

I remember that episode...it was awfully burnt in that one.

The sculpting is amazing though! I've been trying to find a large skull mould so I could make a Day of the Dead cake - there's no way I could ever do one from scratch the way they do.

I'd love to try making one of their cakes. It must be easier than buttercream and sugarpaste. Just pour the chocolate over and shape it a bit with a palate knife. I just need a reason to make one lol

JamAndButtercream Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 4:49pm
post #5 of 18

@Valkstar

Oh my god, yeah I would LOVE to try and make one! I wonder what their secret is to making the chocolate like fondant! Maybe I could go to Brighton and ask for some work experience! icon_biggrin.gif

Valkstar Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 10:42pm
post #6 of 18

That's modelling chocolate....it's really easy to make icon_smile.gif They make roses etc out of it. The actual cake is just covered in melted chocolate.

If you make one you have to send me a pic!!

wiggler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wiggler Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 10:51pm
post #7 of 18

I watched it too , also noticed the overcooked cakes but the decoration was amazing . Saw Fabulous Cakes on Discovery for the first time tonight.
Did any of you see it ?

JamAndButtercream Posted 10 Sep 2011 , 10:10am
post #8 of 18

yeah I was wondering if it was just modelling choc, but then why would they say it was a secret when loads of bakers use it? icon_confused.gif

Its just adding golden sugar to the chocolate isn't it?

Yeah I saw Fabulous Cakes last night, the boat one was interesting when the baker was making the blown sugar dolphins! wow! I'd love to try something like that!

Leannesincy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Leannesincy Posted 11 Sep 2011 , 9:30am
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamAndButtercream

yeah I was wondering if it was just modelling choc, but then why would they say it was a secret when loads of bakers use it? ?

Yeah I saw Fabulous Cakes last night, the boat one was interesting when the baker was making the blown sugar dolphins! wow! I'd love to try something like that!

I watched fabulous cakes on Friday and I loved it! I thought it gave you a better insight into techniques etc. I love buddy and ace of cakes but you don't get to see to much of the techniques used.

I agree the blown sugar work was amazing, adds a new dimention to cake decorating.

One thing I would love to do is get a one to one session on figure modelling with artists at buddy's, there work is fantastic icon_smile.gif x

JamAndButtercream Posted 11 Sep 2011 , 9:51am
post #10 of 18

wow, could you imagine???
This would be my dream trip,
1. Go to Choccywoccydoodah and see Dave making one of his chocolate master pieces.
2. Go to the bakery that were making the blown sugar dolphins and be taught how to make one!
3. Go to Charm City Cakes, just to meet everyone because they all seem so nice!
4. Visit Carlos Bakery, get some lessons in figure modelling, and taste one of every cake, cupcake and cookie they sell!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Leannesincy Posted 11 Sep 2011 , 10:11am
post #11 of 18
Quote:

wow, could you imagine???
This would be my dream trip,
1. Go to Choccywoccydoodah and see Dave making one of his chocolate master pieces.
2. Go to the bakery that were making the blown sugar dolphins and be taught how to make one!
3. Go to Charm City Cakes, just to meet everyone because they all seem so nice!
4. Visit Carlos Bakery, get some lessons in figure modelling, and taste one of every cake, cupcake and cookie they sell!! D D D

That is a great list!!
The charm city bakers seem like they would be a hoot on a night out icon_smile.gif
Buddy's cakes just look like they taste amazing plus the choice of cake and fillings you can choose from is amazing x

JamAndButtercream Posted 11 Sep 2011 , 10:20am
post #12 of 18

Yeah! A baker/decorators bucket list! icon_biggrin.gif

Valkstar Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 11:40am
post #13 of 18
Quote:

yeah I was wondering if it was just modelling choc, but then why would they say it was a secret when loads of bakers use it? icon_confused.gif

Modelling chocolate is chocolate with corn syrup added to it, not sugar. In Europe you can use glucose syrup.

I saw Fabulous Cakes too...some of it I loved, some I thought was awful, but it's great to watch icon_biggrin.gif

As for the bucket list, I'd love to visit Carlo's Bakery, I love the team there.

JamAndButtercream Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 2:05pm
post #14 of 18

Hi Valkstar

Sorry I wrote golden sugar, what I actually meant was golden syrup, I'm always typing the wrong thing!

Which bit of fabulous cakes did you think was awful?

Valkstar Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 2:16pm
post #15 of 18

Lol I worded it badly....it wasn't the programme I thought was awful, it was some of the cakes. I didn't like the bowling cake at all, but her tattoo cake was awesome. I really didn't like the sugar coral, but his dolphins were fantastic.

I'm soooo picky when watching these programmes....just wish I had the talent and ability to back it up - it's easy to criticise when I'm sitting at home icon_lol.gif

JamAndButtercream Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 2:26pm
post #16 of 18

To be honest me and my mum watched it together, and we liked the the boat cake with the dolphins, we liked the earth cake and the tatoo cake, but we didn't like the bowling cake, how hot must it have been in the bakery for the fondant to be melting like that??

Yeah I wasn't fussed on that bakery either! icon_biggrin.gif

Leannesincy Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 3:05pm
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkstar

Lol I worded it badly....it wasn't the programme I thought was awful, it was some of the cakes. I didn't like the bowling cake at all, but her tattoo cake was awesome. I really didn't like the sugar coral, but his dolphins were fantastic.

I'm soooo picky when watching these programmes....just wish I had the talent and ability to back it up - it's easy to criticise when I'm sitting at home icon_lol.gif

I know what you mean though valkstar! I thought the bowling pins on the bowling cake were dreadful you could see they weren't totally smooth and some of the RKT bumps were still kind of visible. I loved the tattoo cake but I thought the ring box let it down :-s
I'm a total perfectionist, I think the hours I put into my cakes I would never see a profit if I paid myself even a minimum wage icon_sad.gif

Noobz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Noobz Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 8:56am
post #18 of 18

I just saw some of youtube but I only lasted 4 minutes....lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%