Ganache Under Bc - How Do I Make It Work?

Decorating By idontknow Updated 10 Sep 2011 , 12:06am by idontknow

idontknow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idontknow Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 9:24am
post #1 of 7

i'm making a buttercream birthday cake and want to know if I could use a layer of chocolate ganache underneath the buttercream. I was planning on covering the cake with choc ganache, and putting it in the fridge to harden. then using a crusting buttercream over that to finish. will this work, will the buttercream still crust with a layer of ganache underneath, should i let it come to room temperature before i add the BC layer or will that make it mushy??

6 replies
cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 2:37pm
post #2 of 7

I've never heard of putting a layer of ganache under buttercream. Most of the time, it's either ganache with fondant on top or a buttercream finish.

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 3:09pm
post #3 of 7

How about butter cream frosting, then pour the ganache over that. here a picture of what it woul look like- http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2074619

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 3:11pm
post #4 of 7

I've never heard of that either. Is there a specific reason for wanting it that way?

idontknow Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 10:09pm
post #5 of 7

Well I need it finished in buttercream as I need to decorate it so dont want a ganache finish. I thought having a ganache layer would give me a yummy and smooth base to get a really smooth buttercream finish. I usually finish in fondant so not used to getting super smooth buttercream finish and thought the ganache would help? kind of like crumb-coating with ganache icon_biggrin.gif so nobody's done this before...hmmm....

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 11:01pm
post #6 of 7

I have done this on 3 cakes I did for a family not wanting fondant. The ganache gives you a great undercoat to get a better looking frosted cake, and was very useful to me since I am better at fondant than BC. I ganached and then chilled the cake briefly before applying BC. Works like a charm!

idontknow Posted 10 Sep 2011 , 12:06am
post #7 of 7

thanks Dayti - I was thinking along those lines, that it would make getting a smooth buttercream finish easier! i'll find out tomorrow I suppose icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%