Help! Sticky, Wet Sugarpaste Wont Dry!

Decorating By lucycottle Updated 9 Sep 2011 , 9:10am by lucycottle

lucycottle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lucycottle Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 6:05am
post #1 of 7

Hi
I covered a cake yesterday with sugarpaste for the 1st layer. I thought it was somewhere dry, obviously not! This morning I have ocme down to see the whole think shiny, stickly and wet!! Is there anything I can do to get this to dry out or do I have to replace it? If it will dry how long will it take?
Thanks you everyone xxxx

6 replies
Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 6:30am
post #2 of 7

Is it also soft, or is just the outer part shiny and wet? Is it very humid where you are? Can you try leaving it in an airconditioned low humidity environment for 3-4 hours to see if it dries out the surface?

It should not look this way after a whole night on a cake. I am assuming you left the cake out in an airy, cool environment, not in an airtight box, or in the fridge?

lucycottle Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 6:48am
post #3 of 7

Hi
No it wasnt in a box, just in my kitchen, it is very rainy, dont know if that has anything to do with it. Its everything, the covered board as well! I have tried using my hairdryer on a cool setting and this has dried it a bit, hopefully it will stay like that and not get 'wet' again!

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 7:18am
post #4 of 7

Yes, the rain is your culprit. High humidity wreaks havoc on fondant. As you are noticing, your hair dryer is drying it somewhat. Fondant WILL dry but only if it's not in a real humid environment.

lucycottle Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 7:20am
post #5 of 7

i'll just keep going with the dryer then and keep everything crossed!
It wont effect the taste will it??
Thanks xx

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 9:07am
post #6 of 7

No it shouldn't affect the taste at all. Of course, some people steam their fndant cakes to get them glossy...you could always claim it was deliberate!

I live in Australia and our most humid month is February. My cakes survive with the A/C on dehumidifying the air. Otherwise its all just a colossal PITA.

Good luck!

lucycottle Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 9:10am
post #7 of 7

Thanks everyone for your help, im going to see how it is by the end of the day, otherwise think I might start again icon_rolleyes.gif
Thanks again guys xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%